[comp.os.os2] screen blanker; HPFS

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Tholen) (12/15/89)

I have two screen blankers, one automatic, one manual.  I got the automatic
one from some anonymous ftp site (sorry!  I don't have that documentation
with me, and I don't remember which one).  The filename is SCRNBLNK.ARC.  It
allows you to set the length of time it waits for keyboard inactivity
before blanking the screen; or you could optionally have a clock in a box
jumping around on the screen every few seconds.  And, of course, you could
run the program a second time to remove it.  I don't use it much because of
what I consider to be a bug.  I had it set to blank the screen after two
minutes of inactivity.  While doing an XCOPY operation to floppy, my keyboard
was indeed inactive for two minutes, so SCRNBLNK went into action, blanking
the screen, AND STOPPING THE XCOPY OPERATION DEAD IN ITS TRACKS.  As soon as
I hit a key, XCOPY came back to life.  Not terribly useful if your job stops
simply because the keyboard wasn't touched.  Haven't tried it with XCOPY in
the background; I presume it would keep running under those circumstances
(heaven forbid that all background jobs get stopped by the screen blanker!).

The manual one I wrote myself before I came across the automatic one.  It's
just a simple call to VioScrollUp; waits for a return before exiting.  The
only problem is that if the command line prompt isn't at the bottom of the
screen, the cursor is gone.  Haven't invested the time to figure out why.  If
I know I'm going to be away from the keyboard for awhile, I simply type
BLANK at a full screen command prompt.

A while back I posted a query about possible redundancy between the BUFFERS=
and DISKCACHE memory eaters and the CACHE associated with the HPFS.  Due to
the overwhelming silence, I can only assume that either the question was so
incredibly stupid that nobody could dignify it with a response, or that
everybody else out there is just as uncertain as I am.  Somehow I doubt the
former possibility.  Haven't run across any help from the on-line or printed
documentation.  How about somebody from Microsoft/IBM commenting on this?
With HPFS, can one eliminate the DISKCACHE statement from the CONFIG.SYS file
without adversely affecting disk performance?

--Dave Tholen          tholen@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

slh@fred.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (12/15/89)

SCRNBLNK is at mtsg.ubc.ca, and it is screwed-up I had the same problem
when doing file transfers--the blanker stopped the transfer and caused a
time-out.  I suppose this has something to do with the blanker using a
pop-up, but I wouldn't know.

ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (12/16/89)

In article <10194@june.cs.washington.edu> slh@fred.cs.washington.edu writes:

>SCRNBLNK is at mtsg.ubc.ca, and it is screwed-up I had the same problem
>when doing file transfers--the blanker stopped the transfer and caused a
>time-out.  I suppose this has something to do with the blanker using a
>pop-up, but I wouldn't know.

I'm the author of SCRNBLNK.  It uses VioPopUp to blank the screen, and this
does indeed seem to suspend the foreground session, at least sometimes.
I haven't yet figured out a way to avoid the problem; any suggestions
would be welcome.  I've thought of a couple of other ways to do the
blanking; but they all have other problems...

Only full-screen (non-PM) sessions seem to experience this problem; PM
sessions continue without being suspended.

For anybody who wants the program, a slightly newer version is in the file
OS2:SCRNBL12.ZIP at mtsg.ubc.ca . The original version worked only with OS/2
version 1.1 ; the new version works with 1.1 and 1.2 .  There are some minor
problems with the 1.2 version due to bugs in OS/2 1.2.

There is a desktop picture program that includes a screen blanker; I think
it has been distributed on this list.  It blanks ONLY the PM session, as
far as I can tell.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
5356 Agricultural Road         |      Fax: 604-228-5116
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |
Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074

slh@fred.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (12/16/89)

Does it (SCRNBLNK) only suspend the foreground session?  So if I'm doing some-
thing that will take a while and throw the session into the background, will
it keep going?

news@cs.ubc.ca (Usenet News) (12/16/89)

seem to keep running OK.  And the foreground does too if it is PM.
From: ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard)

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116