[comp.os.os2] Good Reading Material

lance@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Daniel A Lentz) (12/14/89)

	Well, I didn't get much (read: any) response on my first post here
(looking for pd or sw compiler for os2), but I'll give it another shot before
slipping back into obscurity.

	I just started using OS/2 (if you can call playing with EMACS and a GIF
viewer 'using'!) and am wondering if anyone has a reccomendation for a good
OS/2 guide. I read 'Inside OS/2' and just started 'Advanced OS/2 Programming'.
Are there any other really good ones? Books are quite expensive these days, so
the more comprehensive the better... (BTW, those are the only two our library
has)
Thanks (again) in advance...

--
                 _    __   _ __   __   __               lance@vax1.acs.udel.edu
o o o          _//   /  ) ' )  ) /  ) /  `    /         o o o o o o o o o o o o

osbornk@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) (12/15/89)

In article <5312@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> lance@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Daniel A Lentz) writes:
>	I just started using OS/2 (if you can call playing with EMACS and a GIF
>viewer 'using'!) and am wondering if anyone has a reccomendation for a good
>OS/2 guide. I read 'Inside OS/2' and just started 'Advanced OS/2 Programming'.
>Are there any other really good ones? Books are quite expensive these days, so
>the more comprehensive the better... (BTW, those are the only two our library
>has)

There is the set "Microsoft OS/2 Programmer's Reference".  I have
volumes 1, 2, and 3.  Rumour has it there's a 4th.

Volume 1 provides a useful framework for the OS/2 API.  Volume 2 is a
PM function reference.  Volume 3 is a base function reference and may
not be *too* useful for you since you already have 'Advanced OS/2
Programming'.  Volumes 2 & 3 seem to be a printing of OS/2 QuickHelp.

Kasey
osbornk@cs.orst.edu        UUCP:  ...!{hplabs!hp-pcd}!orstcs!mist!osbornk

ander@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael R. Primm) (12/15/89)

Microsoft's OS/2 Programmer's Reference, Volume 4 exists and is available
at some bookstores.  Its mostly an update of the material in the first
3 volumes for Version 1.2, including the API for the installable file
systems, extended file attributes, Profile Manager, Help Manager,
Combination Box Controls, and Multiple-line Entry Fields.  There are also
some corrections, some changes, and some new data structures.  Its good
for people who want to see what V1.2 has to offer a programmer, but not a
good beginner book.
    "Programming the OS/2 Presentation Manager" by Charles Petzold is another
book on par with "Advanced OS/2 Programming".....I'd recommend the set as
required reading for OS/2 Programming Neophytes (they helped me alot!!)/
                                                     --Mike Primm

jeremy@rpp386.cactus.org (Jeremy S. Anderson) (12/15/89)

	Here at IBM Austin, we just got camera-ready printouts of the OS/2
programmer's reference library (this is broken into a C/2 -- MASM PM bindings
reference, a programmer's guide, a programmer's reference, and a few other
odds ends and things I haven't looked at yet.)  The version we have is about
1.5 trees (douglas fir, 60 years old) worth of data, though the published
version should be more compact.  At a glance, these are very well written
and detailed documents, and are a 150% improvement over the four-volume
Microsoft Press release (which I have kept on my desk for some months as an
indication of how highly I think of those)  I know nothing about what the
avalibility or release date of these documents will be.

	There have also been rumors floating around about an OS/2 book by some
of the head design people in Boca Raton.  Second and third-hand reports
that have come my way indicate that this is a must-purchase book, but I again
have no indications on the release date nor have I personally seen a copy
(unlike the abovementioned documents, this is supposed to be put out by a
"real publishing house" and will be avalible in bookstores near you)

disclaimer:  All of the above opinions are strictly my own, and in no way
reflect those of the employees or management of the International Business
Machines Corporation, whom I am am currently subcontracted to.
--
	There are two major products of Berkley, CA -- LSD and UNIX.  We don't
belive this to be strictly by coincidence.

yozzo@arnor.watson.ibm.com (Ralph Yozzo) (12/15/89)

Programming the Presentation Manager
by Charles Petzold is a good
book on PM.

| Ralph E. Yozzo                     | DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed    |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | herein are the Authors.               |
| Arpanet: yozzo@ibm.com             | And are not necessarily those of his  |
|                                    | employer.                             |
| Bitnet: yozzo@yktvmx.bitnet        \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!yozzo  | Phone: (914) 945-3634 work |
|                                               | Phone: (914) 564-4731 home |

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (12/16/89)

In article <17442@rpp386.cactus.org> jeremy@rpp386.UUCP (Jeremy S. Anderson) writes:
<	Here at IBM Austin, we just got camera-ready printouts of the OS/2
<programmer's reference library. The version we have is about
<1.5 trees (douglas fir, 60 years old) worth of data, though the published
<version should be more compact.

How about saving some trees, and making the manuals available on CD-ROM?
Note that CD-ROMs cost $1 each in quantity, whereas the paper versions
probably cost $10. IBM would even save money!

Kudos to Microsoft for their Programmer's Library CD-ROM. Truly a nice
product, it replaces maybe 50 lbs of paper.

slh@fred.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (12/16/89)

Hey, I like paper.