[comp.os.os2] Desktop and gif files

yozzo@larouch.uucp (Ralph Yozzo) (12/09/89)

In article <1701@mcgill-vision.UUCP> nick@mcgill-vision.UUCP (Nicola Fumai) writes:

>Well I got a copy of Desktop. Thanks to whoever posted it.
>I tried viewing a gif file with it, and, although it works,
>it doesn't display all of the 256 colors.
>This is strange since I have an 8514 screen, so I should not
>be having this problem.
>The OS/2 Technical reference talks about a color table...
>do I have to redefine the color table to be able to view
>all 256 colors at the same time? Has anyone else had this
>problem?
>

>nick

>- Nicola Fumai  (nick@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu)
>  McGill Research Center for Intelligent Machines (MCRCIM)
>  McGill University, Montreal, Canada

PM has a severely restricted palette.
GIF files come with there own palette.
A gif displayer in PM must map the GIF palette to the
pre-selected palette of PM.
This causes some distortion.

OS/2 1.2 is advertised to allow an application to select
a logical palette.

OS/2 1.1 PM allows  256 colors in BGA 8514 mode.
and OS/2 1.1 PM allows  16 colors in VGA
mode.

| Ralph E. Yozzo                     | DISCLAIMER: The above message is from |

| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | me and is not from my employer.  IBM  |

| Arpanet: yozzo@ibm.com             | might completely disagree with me.    |

| Bitnet: yozzo@yktvmx.bitnet        \---------------------------------------|

| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!yozzo  | Phone: (914) 945-3634 work |

|                                               | Phone: (914) 564-4731 home |

schafer@brazos.rice.EDU (Richard A. Schafer) (12/16/89)

Fumai) writes:
>Well I got a copy of Desktop. Thanks to whoever posted it.
>I tried viewing a gif file with it, and, although it works,
>it doesn't display all of the 256 colors.
Well, I got a copy of Desktop and can't get it to function at all.
Everything I try
gets me the message "SYS1804: The system cannot find the file ."
I have plenty of GIF files to work with, and can view with with another
GIF viewer, but
cannot get Desktop to do anything at all.  Any suggestions?

Richard Schafer

ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (12/16/89)

In article <3762@brazos.Rice.edu> schafer@brazos.rice.EDU (Richard A. Schafer) writes:
>Well, I got a copy of Desktop and can't get it to function at all.
>Everything I try
>gets me the message "SYS1804: The system cannot find the file ."

Sounds like you don't have the DESKTOP.DLL file somewhere in the directories
specified by your LIBPATH.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116