[comp.os.os2] Hercules driver/dll for PM

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (12/13/89)

This is a repost (more or less) of my query about the existance of a hercules
mono driver or dll.  Hercules says one is coming.  So is Christmas.  Microsoft
can't be bothered.  For Windows, they could be bothered, but their top end
product, they could not care more (or less.)

Is there (in the public/shareware domain) any software (driver/dll/etc) that
supports the Hercules mono display?  Is there any demand for such an item, or
am I the only person left in the world with a mono display.  If so, I must work
for the wrong company, because everyone else can afford ega or vga, and I
can't.

Can someone clarify for me (excuse my ignorance) whether it is indeed a .sys,
a .dll, or something else entirely that drives the display.

Is there anyone who knows what needs to go into this piece of software.  I know
a little about the Hercules card, if the required routines are simple enough,
I could (maybe) write one myself.

I have had IBM version 1.1 for three or four months now, and am at a standstill
over this issue.  I need to bootstrap this process somehow -- I need mono
support to use PM, and I need PM to use the system to do the mono....

Note:  the folks at Microsoft suggested using a 1.0 shell instead of 1.1's
pmshell, but the only 1.0 shell I could find was from Compaq, and when I tried
that, my system hung after printing a message (I forget the specifics) about
wrong version or some such.

Thanks.  email or post at your discretion.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian A. Onn) (12/14/89)

In article <2382@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>This is a repost (more or less) of my query about the existance of a hercules
>mono driver or dll.  Hercules says one is coming.  So is Christmas.  Microsoft
>can't be bothered.  For Windows, they could be bothered, but their top end
>product, they could not care more (or less.)
>
>Is there (in the public/shareware domain) any software (driver/dll/etc) that
>supports the Hercules mono display?  Is there any demand for such an item, or
>am I the only person left in the world with a mono display.  If so, I must work
>for the wrong company, because everyone else can afford ega or vga, and I
>can't.

:-)

>Can someone clarify for me (excuse my ignorance) whether it is indeed a .sys,
>a .dll, or something else entirely that drives the display.

It's a .DLL file.  The base comes with EGA.DLL, VGA.DLL, etc. and the install
script determines what display you have and copies the appropriate one over
to DISPLAY.DLL, which is what PM opens and uses.

>Is there anyone who knows what needs to go into this piece of software.  I know
>a little about the Hercules card, if the required routines are simple enough,
>I could (maybe) write one myself.

I have no idea, but I'd like to know myself.  Is there anyplace else, besides
the SDK, that tells a little bit more about how this works, you know for
the mad programmers of the world who cannot afford the $3-4k required for
the SDK?  I can envision the shareware market clogging with OS/2 drivers for
many things if only this wasn't so mysterious.

I could write the driver too, but can't find any information on how.  I have
already written several DOS drivers for various graphics hardware, but to
non-standard interfaces at the time.

>I have had IBM version 1.1 for three or four months now, and am at a standstill
>over this issue.  I need to bootstrap this process somehow -- I need mono
>support to use PM, and I need PM to use the system to do the mono....
>
>Note:  the folks at Microsoft suggested using a 1.0 shell instead of 1.1's
>pmshell, but the only 1.0 shell I could find was from Compaq, and when I tried
>that, my system hung after printing a message (I forget the specifics) about
>wrong version or some such.

You might want to try the following.  I haven't done this, but it may work.
Go through the installation to completion. After the install disk you need to
reboot and it will ask for the other program disks.  At the end of copying the
program files over, the installation scripts tell you to remove the last
diskette and reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del.  At this point, put a DOS diskette in
drive A: and boot DOS.  Using your favourite editor, edit CONFIG.SYS on your
C: drive and change the line that reads

	PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE C:\OS2\OS2.INI C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
	PROTSHELL=C:\INSTALL\SYSBAS.EXE C:\OS2\CMD.EXE

Then save and reboot, from the hard disk this time.  This should give you
a command line interpreter in OS/2 mode.

Then you can run all the non-PM applications you want. You may be able to
switch between tasks still with the ALT-Esc combination, but I cannot
guarantee it.  This may have been handled by the Task Manager, A PM
application.  Maybe someone else can suggest a better way.

>Kaleb Keithley
>kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771

Brian.
--
 +-------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
 | Brian Onn         | UUCP: ..!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!brian                  |

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (12/18/89)

In article <1703@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM>, brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian A. Onn) writes:
| You might want to try the following.  I haven't done this, but it may work.
| Go through the installation to completion. After the install disk you need to
| reboot and it will ask for the other program disks.  At the end of copying the
| program files over, the installation scripts tell you to remove the last
| diskette and reboot with Ctrl-Alt-Del.  At this point, put a DOS diskette in
| drive A: and boot DOS.  Using your favourite editor, edit CONFIG.SYS on your
| C: drive and change the line that reads
|
| 	PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE C:\OS2\OS2.INI C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
| 	PROTSHELL=C:\INSTALL\SYSBAS.EXE C:\OS2\CMD.EXE

	This worked for me once.  I recall that it was important to
have a SYSINST.CMD file (SYSBAS.EXE wants to pass "/K SYSINST.CMD"
to CMD.EXE) else the system wouldn't come up.  I think an empty
file was ok.

| Then save and reboot, from the hard disk this time.  This should give you
| a command line interpreter in OS/2 mode.
|
| Then you can run all the non-PM applications you want. You may be able to
| switch between tasks still with the ALT-Esc combination, but I cannot
| guarantee it.

	Alas, no.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*