[comp.os.os2] CVP for PM?

kushner@ux3.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) (12/19/89)

Is anyone using CVP to debug PM programs?  When I try, CVP
starts to work, but eventually always locks up the whole
machine.  Usually when I change program focus.

-Gary

cs169054@cs.brown.edu (Peter Golde) (12/19/89)

In article <4479@helios.ee.lbl.gov> kushner@ux3.lbl.gov (Gary Kushner) writes:
>Is anyone using CVP to debug PM programs?  When I try, CVP
>starts to work, but eventually always locks up the whole
>machine.  Usually when I change program focus.

I use CVP to debug PM programs.  It is possible to die doing this, but if
you are just a bit careful, things will work fine.  The most important thing
is not to hit Ctrl-Esc or Alt-Esc while debugging a PM program.  This
generally will screw you, since the PM program you are debugging won't
respond to messages, and thus freezes the PM.  I usually get a box asking
if I want to terminate the app, but it never work (presumably because the
shell can't kill a program under CVP's control).  If I remember, I may
have had problem when setting the flip/swap option to no.  Leave it at
yes for best results.

Beyond this, I rarely have problems, although figuring out where to set
a breakpoint is sometimes confusing, what with the message loop structure
and everything.

--Peter Golde