[comp.os.os2] Glaring Blue Bar

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (12/14/89)

Aha! A kindly Microsoft employee finally told me that the glaring blue
bar that appears at the top of the screen in text mode can be gotten
rid of with the command:
	HELP OFF

For my next question, does anyone have:
	1. A screen blanker for OS/2
	2. A ram disk for OS/2

osbornk@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) (12/15/89)

In article <2244@dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
>Aha! A kindly Microsoft employee finally told me that the glaring blue
>bar that appears at the top of the screen in text mode can be gotten
>rid of with the command:
>	HELP OFF
>
>For my next question, does anyone have:
>	1. A screen blanker for OS/2
>	2. A ram disk for OS/2

Specifically, the glaring bar is caused by the $i parameter in the line

prompt $i[$p]

in HELP.CMD.  Customizing the prompt without $i also makes this beast die.

Screen blanker?  Haven't heard of any.  Ram disk?  One comes with OS/2.
In my CONFIG.SYS I have:

device=c:\os2\vdisk.sys 256

to allocate a 256K ram disk.  Handy for a destination for my TMP variable.

Kasey
osbornk@cs.orst.edu        UUCP:  ...!{hplabs!hp-pcd}!orstcs!mist!osbornk

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (12/15/89)

Re: screen blanker for OS/2

Try the DESKTOP program recently posted to this group

harish@guille.ece.orst.edu (Harish Pillay) (12/20/89)

In article <-283389996@hpcupt1.HP.COM> swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
>Re: screen blanker for OS/2
>
>Try the DESKTOP program recently posted to this group

For a very short time (for about a month or so), you can get it via anonymous
ftp from temasek.ece.orst.edu [128.193.48.123].  It is my personal 286-based
machine running KA9Q.  All the files are in /pub and are OS/2 PD software.
I'll be moving the files to be available on another machine in about a month
(ie by about 19th Jan 90) within our site here in Oregon State University.
I'll keep this newsgroup informed when that happens.

----
Harish Pillay                        harish@ece.orst.edu
Oregon State University