[comp.os.os2] OS/2 Auto start of program

johnk@telxon.uucp (John E. Kabat Jr.) (01/06/90)

My boss wants a PM application to come up when OS/2 is booted.

Does any one know how to do this.

John E. Kabat Jr.    <|> ...!uunet!telxon!johnk <|> johnk@telxon.uucp.uu.net
Telxon Corporation   <|>
Akron, Ohio, 44313   <|>
(216) 867-3700 (3562)<|>

MICHELBI@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michel Biedermann) (01/07/90)

In article <444@telxon.UUCP>, johnk@telxon.uucp (John E. Kabat Jr.) writes:
> My boss wants a PM application to come up when OS/2 is booted.

To have OS/2 start 1 or more applications upon boot-up, create a STARTUP.CMD
file. You can run OS/2 applications using the START xxx command.  There are
a few options associated with it so check you manuals.

Michel Biedermann	michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
U. of Oregon
ZENITH Student Rep.

jeremy@rpp386.cactus.org (Jeremy S. Anderson) (01/07/90)

In article <444@telxon.UUCP> johnk@telxon.UUCP (John E. Kabat Jr.) writes:
>My boss wants a PM application to come up when OS/2 is booted.

	A file called STARTUP.CMD ( which is in the format of a standard OS/2
command script) is executed after PMSHELL.EXE is started.  The START command
will spawn a sub-process from your command file.  This can be a PM program,
or a full-screen command.

	Better applications than START exist for launching sub-processes,
however I am aware of none which are publicly avalible (not too hard, I lead
a very sheltered life)  As a hint, GO.EXE, which is used inside of IBM,
provides full access from a command line to the features of the OS/2 base
call DosStartProgram (?) including sizing of windows, determining whether to
start the app full-screen, as a text-window, or as a PM application, etc.
etc.  This program is about 80 lines of code that could using information
drawn straight from any OS/2 programming refrence on the market.  If such a
program does not exist in the public-domain, take an afternoon off to write it,
as the benefits accrued for control of well-behaved PM applications are well
worth the trouble.

--
	There are two major products of Berkeley, CA -- LSD and UNIX.  We don't
believe this to be strictly by coincidence.