[comp.os.os2] OS2 Debugger

freed@pixar.UUCP (freed) (01/05/90)

Does anyone know the details of why debuggers cannot get access to Presentation
manager programs except in a full screen group. (They cannot run under a window
in the same screen group as the program they are debugging) I hear that it is
something about the message queueing. Any better info.? Is this going to
be fixed in 2.0? (Another rumor)

-Erik Freed
ucbvax!pixar!freed

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) (01/09/90)

In article <8400@pixar.UUCP> freed@pixar.UUCP (freed) writes:
>Does anyone know the details of why debuggers cannot get access to Presentation
>manager programs except in a full screen group. (They cannot run under a window
>in the same screen group as the program they are debugging) I hear that it is
>something about the message queueing. Any better info.? Is this going to
>be fixed in 2.0? (Another rumor)
>
>-Erik Freed
>ucbvax!pixar!freed

In OS/2 1.1 it was not possible for a debugger to 'unhook' a message
queue from a debugee, thus, if one PM app ran another under the ptrace
interface, when the debuggee 'broke' he would need to lose focus so that
the debugger could gain focus - however, he was already broken at this
point so the debuggee does not respond, so the debugger cannot gain
focus, and so nothing happens.

This is being fixed for 2.0.

Alistair Banks
OS/2 Group