[comp.os.os2] Using IFS to implement an NFS client for OS/2

yozzo@larouch.uucp (Ralph Yozzo) (01/08/90)

What are people's thoughts about using the IFS interface to
implement an NFS client for OS/2?

| Ralph E. Yozzo                     |                                       |
| Arpanet: yozzo@ibm.com             |                                       |
| Bitnet: yozzo@yktvmx.bitnet        \---------------------------------------|
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!yozzo  | Phone: (914) 945-3634 work |
|                                               | Phone: (914) 564-4731 home |

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) (01/10/90)

In article <1990Jan8.044311.1912@larouch.uucp> yozzo@larouch.UUCP (Ralph Yozzo) writes:
>What are people's thoughts about using the IFS interface to
>implement an NFS client for OS/2?
>
>| Ralph E. Yozzo                     |                                       |

The installable file system interface is THE interface for network
redirectors (and any arbitrary file system) under os/2 1.2 and
beyond and is therefore the correct interface for an NFS client.

I would add that the IFS specification is not published in the 1.2
toolkit, but will likely be with later versions of the device driver kit.
It is the interface to which the High Performance File System (HPFS)
and LanMan are written and will be used to support any remote
or non-FAT file system.

The work is obviously non-trivial.

I would encourage people to get this work done and would be interested
to hear from people who have prior experience implementing NFS clients
and who have a serious interest in doing this work for OS/2.

Of course, this work would best be done by someone who has a major
interst in NFS, such as Sun - If this is important to you I might
suggest some lobbying in that direction to let Sun know that a large
number of people would like this product.

Alistair Banks
OS/2 Group
Microsoft

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/12/90)

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) wrote:
> Of course, this work would best be done by someone who has a major
> interst in NFS, such as Sun - If this is important to you I might
> suggest some lobbying in that direction to let Sun know that a large
> number of people would like this product.

This sounds quite misleading to me.  I think at this point it's
*Microsoft* who had better get on the stick and put NFS on "their"
OS.  That is, if they want "their" OS to talk to anybody else's
file systems.  I doubt the lack of Microsoft connectivity is strangling
Sun sales.

Last I heard you couldn't even get TCP/IP for OS-1/2.  Architec was
selling an OS-1/2 NeWS, but it couldn't network with any other NeWS
because they couldn't find a TCP.  Though I must say I haven't been
tracking OS-1/2 closely.  I figured why buy Unix over ten slow years of
development when you can get the real thing today -- and without being
stuck on intel hardware or with one vendor.
--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      gnu@toad.com
Just say *yes* to drugs.  Say "no" to undeclared wars on sovereign countries.