[comp.os.os2] IBM OS/2 problems in memory ??

tim@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Timothy H Smith) (01/17/90)

Hello all.. I am very new to os/2.  I am running IBM OS/2 ver 1.2
and am having the problem of no more memory.  I have a DELL system 316sx
with 5MB of 100ns memory.  If I change my MEMMAN to noswap, nomove  in my
config.sys I cannot run any processes.  I don't understand this!  5MB
should be plenty.  Im doing this to get os/2 running as fast as possible.
The pstat command will not tell me how much memory os/2 thinks I have so
I need some way of doing this...

				Thanks all.
tim@vax1.cc.uakron.edu
I am a
Timothy Smith             | INTERNET: tim@vonneuman.math.uakron.edu
Department of Mathematics |
The University of Akron   |  What kind of world is it, when a man, dressed
Akron, ohio 44325         |  as a BAT, gets all of my press?  --The Joker

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (01/18/90)

In article <75771@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> tim@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Timothy H Smith) writes:
>Hello all.. I am very new to os/2.  I am running IBM OS/2 ver 1.2
>and am having the problem of no more memory.  I have a DELL system 316sx
>with 5MB of 100ns memory.  If I change my MEMMAN to noswap, nomove  in my
>config.sys I cannot run any processes.  I don't understand this!  5MB
>should be plenty.  Im doing this to get os/2 running as fast as possible.
>The pstat command will not tell me how much memory os/2 thinks I have so
>I need some way of doing this...

For starters unless your app causes alot of swapping, NOSWAP is not going to
make much difference and could contribute to you problem.
NOMOVE is probably why you are running out of memory, after all if there is
not a big enough space to put your app in and OS/2 can't move memory around
to make space, then what else do you expect it to tell you.
And you did not say if your running PM, if so NOSWAP,NOMOVE is a bad idea.
--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack