[comp.os.os2] Status of OS/2 Binaries group proposal

rja@edison.cho.ge.com (rja) (01/17/90)

There have been a number of people supporting the creation of
comp.binaries.os2 to handle OS/2 binaries.  Many people support
the separation of the binaries from the discussion group.

Alas, no one has volunteered to be a moderator for the proposed
binaries group.  Until someone (preferably with direct Internet
access) is willing to volunteer to be the moderator, no further
progress towards creating a binaries group can be made.

cliff@violet.berkeley.edu (Cliff Frost) (01/18/90)

In article <9001171412.AA16066@edison.CHO.GE.COM> rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:
>There have been a number of people supporting the creation of
>comp.binaries.os2 to handle OS/2 binaries.  Many people support
>the separation of the binaries from the discussion group.
>
>Alas, no one has volunteered to be a moderator for the proposed
>binaries group.  Until someone (preferably with direct Internet
>access) is willing to volunteer to be the moderator, no further
>progress towards creating a binaries group can be made.

Huh?  No one moderates the binaries that are put into comp.os.os2, why
do we HAVE to have a moderator for a binaries group?

The main idea of creating a group for binaries is to separate out that
traffic.  I agree a moderator would be very nice, but why is it mandatory?
This is kind of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

If there are some "rules" about comp.binaries, I suggest someone start
a comp.os.os2.binaries or comp.os.os2.caveat-emptor.binaries...

	Cliff Frost

tim@banyan.UUCP (Tim Henrion@Eng@Banyan) (01/18/90)

> There have been a number of people supporting the creation of
> comp.binaries.os2 to handle OS/2 binaries.  Many people support
> the separation of the binaries from the discussion group.
>
> Alas, no one has volunteered to be a moderator for the proposed
> binaries group.  Until someone (preferably with direct Internet
> access) is willing to volunteer to be the moderator, no further
> progress towards creating a binaries group can be made.

	comp.binaries.ibm.pc ran for a long time unmoderated.
	It became moderated only when the volume started to run
	too high for some sites. It doesn't seem like
	comp.binaries.os2 would be too high volume initially.
	What about running it unmoderated to start out with
	until a moderator is found? It beats posting binaries
	to comp.os.os2.

Tim Henrion
Banyan Systems Inc.
tim@banyan.com --or-- ...!bu.edu!banyan!tim