[comp.os.os2] OS/2 EE 1.1 on 2nd hard disk with a Logitech mouse

ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) (02/01/90)

In article <1079@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de>, rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
> In article <P2VQ=%@rpi.edu> fargo@pawl.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
> >Also, I own a Logitech serial (C7) mouse and cannot get it to work with
> >OS/2.  During setup, I chose a Microsoft serial mouse as my pointing
> >device.
> >
> >Thank you and happy hunting!             Actually: Ethan M. Young
>

> (If you ever have a chance to sell your Logitech mouse, do it and by a
> Microsoft or hardware-compatible mouse. The Logitech mouse looks nice
> and is easy to use but it is not fully compatible to one of the
> standard mice and all the driver software that comes with the mouse is
> very bad. I had problems with MS Windows with a Logitech mouse too.)
>
> Kai Uwe Rommel
> Munich
> rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de

Your problems with the Logitech mouse don't stem from it being incompatable,
they come from not reading the abundant documentation that Logitech provides.
Under OS/2 1.2 either "Visi-On" or "Mouse Systems PC-Mouse" should be selected
as the driver. If you run a DOS program that makes use of a different mouse
by dynamically reconfiguring the Logitech mouse via the "CLICK" program (for
example if you are using the dual-boot option and load a MS driver on boot up)
before booting with OS/2 you must reload the PC-Mouse driver (either have it
done automatically via the CLICK.SRC definition or manually using the 'mouse'
command). Unpluging and repluging the serial mouse as you suggested just resets
the mouse by taking power away from it (doing this with the power on is a good
way to damage you mouse!!!!!!!). The logitech mouse is more complex to use than
the MS Mouse (some would say), but it provides excellant compatibility with many different mice
types....provided you read the documentation.....(I was guility of not fully
reading the documentaiton too, when I first got my mouse...there's so much of
it!).

Ajai