[comp.os.os2] Speculation

Jim.Gilliland@p3.f209.n141.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Gilliland) (02/02/90)

 DC> In a typical mixed OS/2 and DOS IBM LAN Server environment (yes, mine
 DC> is a good example), I'm curious about OS/2 2.0's effect on other
 DC> stations on the LAN.

I agree that this is an issue.  I'd like to think that IBM and MS have gotten
the base LAN code to a stable enough point that LS 2.0 and LS 1.2 servers can
work together in one domain, but I guess we won't know for sure until some
announcements are made.  I have no inside information on this, but I'll
certainly pass it along if I ever do.

One possibility:  Cumulus is now selling an 80386sx board that plugs into an
80286 socket.  I wonder how well OS/2 2.0 and LS 2.0 will work in that
environment.

--
Jim Gilliland - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!141!209.3!Jim.Gilliland

Randy.Harner@p1.f11.n372.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Harner) (02/02/90)

In a message to All <31 Jan 90 10:46:00> Dave Chatfield wrote:

 DC> In a typical mixed OS/2 and DOS IBM LAN Server environment (yes,
 DC> mine is a good example), I'm curious about OS/2 2.0's effect on
 DC> other stations on the LAN.

How well does it perform ? What kind of thruput are you getting ?

--
Randy Harner - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!372!11.1!Randy.Harner

Peter.Fitzsimmons@p1.f628.n250.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Peter Fitzsimmons) (02/02/90)

 > I haven't heard anyone speak to this question, so I'll throw it out in
 > the open...
 >
 > Example: we have two OS/2 Servers, a '386-based PS/2-80, and a '286
 > based PS/2-60 (which is used primarily for print-serving). Am I going to
 > be forced into an "unfortunate situation" when the LAN Server program
 > for OS/2 2.0 is released with respect to the NON-386 based server?

IBM has committed to MS LAN Manager compatibility, and I have some
info on Lan Man 2.00 here, so I'll assume it applies to Lan Server
2.00 as well.

I quote from the MS press release:

"On a 386- or 486-based server, LAN Manager 2.00 automatically
 installs a 386-optimized network I/O subsystem and a 386-specific
 version of HPFS (HPFS-386). "

This implies that it supports things other than the 386/486 -- ie:
286.

I'll include the full press release in the next message.  (Does this
bug anyone?  I'm not associated with MS,  but find the PRs very
valuable.  I had one guy in the C_ECHO flame at me for posting the
PR for QuickC 2.00,  claiming that MS didn't need any free
advertising.).

--
Peter Fitzsimmons - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!250!628.1!Peter.Fitzsimmons
Standard Disclaimers Apply...

Peter.Fitzsimmons@p1.f628.n250.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Peter Fitzsimmons) (02/02/90)

Q50640 PR Advanced Network Operating System LAN Manager 2.0 Announced
Microsoft News Releases (NEWS)

Microsoft's New Network Operating System Provides
Powerful Client-Server Computing, Distributed Administration

Redmond, Wash. -- November 6, 1989 -- Microsoft Corporation today
announced Microsoft(R) LAN Manager Version 2.00, an advanced network
operating system that provides a powerful foundation for client-server
computing and tools for distributed administration of local area
networks (LANs).

LAN Manager 2.00 meets the needs of groups of people who want to
easily share information and communicate over LANs. It offers a
complete set of tools allowing software developers to create next-
generation client-server applications that increase the productivity
of groups as well as individuals. It also gives network administrators
the facilities to efficiently manage complex networks that have many
users and many multifunctional servers.

"Networking software is becoming the most strategic system software
for business today," said Bill Gates, Microsoft chairman and CEO. "LAN
Manager is the solution for two important reasons. It offers the best
platform for the development of client-server applications, and it
provides powerful network security and administrative tools."

Among an extensive list of major enhancements, LAN Manager 2.00
includes: 386(TM)/486(TM) microprocessor support; the OS/2 High-
Performance File System (HPFS); multiprocessor support; facilities
that let multiple servers be administered as a single server; tighter
security at both the workstation and server; fault tolerance; reduced
memory requirements for MS-DOS(R) and PC-DOS(TM) operating systems
workstations; peer services; an improved user interface; and easy
installation.

Power for Client-Server Computing
---------------------------------

Features required in a network operating system have changed
significantly in the last two years. In addition to high throughput
and file and print services, a network operating system must also
provide a standard platform for sophisticated client-server
applications, offer easy day-to-day management and readily connect PCs
in multivendor environments. LAN Manager has the power and flexibility
to meet these requirements.

LAN Manager 2.00 supports 32-bit 386/486-based servers. It also takes
advantage of the OS/2 system's rich multitasking features,
interprocess communications, and built-in memory protection. It uses
the OS/2 High-Performance File System to provide high-speed network
throughput. LAN Manager 2.00 can support extremely large disk drives,
individual files up to two gigabytes in size and hundreds of users per
server.

On a 386- or 486-based server, LAN Manager 2.00 automatically installs
a 386-optimized network I/O subsystem and a 386-specific version of
HPFS (HPFS-386). The combination of a network-optimized I/O subsystem
and an HPFS-386 with OS/2 give LAN Manager Version 2.00 the ideal
architecture for networking: high-performance file and print services,
and a protected-mode, preemptively scheduled standard operating system
for running powerful server-based applications.

Version 2.00 also supports multiprocessor servers, which can offload
networking tasks to a separate CPU and greatly speed up overall system
throughput. This provides more horsepower to run server-based
applications, such as the Ashton-Tate(R)/Microsoft SQL Server.

Relief for the Administrator
----------------------------

With LAN Manager 2.00, administrators can oversee a group of servers
as a single server by grouping them into a single unit, or domain.
Distributed administration tools allow user accounts across all
servers in the domain to be modified in a single operation. By
comparison, on most PC networks today, administrators have to update
each server individually. In addition, with the new replication
feature, software can be updated across the domain in a similar
fashion with a single operation. This combination of features greatly
reduces the burden of administering multiserver networks and gives
users the convenience of a single password and logon for all
resources.

Other new network administration features include an easy, full-
screen, menu-driven installation program; and delegation of common
administrative privileges to individuals known as operators, for
management of the server, user accounts, and printers or modems. A
remote boot feature supports both OS/2 and DOS diskless workstations.

Security at Both Server and Workstation
---------------------------------------

Network security in LAN Manager Version 2.00 has been strengthened at
both workstation and server levels to prevent unauthorized users from
accessing and modifying data. Specific security measures include
password aging, time- and workstation-specific restrictions, and a
password validation delay (effective at blocking password-finding
programs). Security on 386/486 servers is strengthened considerably:
No one can log on to the server itself without administrative
privilege, and no one can circumvent server security by rebooting the
machine.

Built-In Fault Tolerance
-------------------------

Reliability improvements in Version 2.00 include support for a fault-
tolerant disk subsystem and uninterruptible power supply as standard
features. LAN Manager 2.00 protects disk drives with "hot fix," a
feature that automatically transfers data from flawed disk areas to a
safe storage space. It also uses disk mirroring and drive duplexing to
provide higher-level protection against disk and disk-controller
problems.

When a power outage occurs, an uninterruptible power supply can signal
the LAN Manager server via a standard RS-232 cable. The server then
sends warning messages to users and the administrator; if power is not
restored before battery life nears depletion, the server performs an
orderly shutdown of itself.

Reduced Memory Requirements for DOS
-----------------------------------

LAN Manager 2.00 reduces memory requirements by at least 50K for DOS
clients. It also supports EMS 4.0 expanded memory, saving up to 100K
of memory, depending on configuration.

Peer Services
-------------

Peer services allow clients to use resources of other clients. Any
OS/2 1.20 workstation can provide resources directly to other DOS and
OS/2 clients. A workstation can be an inexpensive alternative to the
addition of another full server, and users can make their own local
files available to others or to themselves when they are away from
their desks. Peer servers can run OS/2 server-based applications such
as SQL Server or Saros(TM) FileShare(TM).

MSU Training to be Available
----------------------------

In a related announcement, Microsoft University will offer a revised
series of courses on LAN Manager programming and administration. These
courses will encompass the new features of MS(R) LAN Manager 2.00 and
OS/2 system 1.20. The new classes will begin in January 1990.

The LAN Manager programming courses -- LAN Manager 2.00 Programming
Environment and LAN Manager 2.00 Applications Programming -- cover
extensions to the LAN Manager API (Applications Programming
Interface), design of distributed applications, porting of stand-alone
applications to the network and interprocess communication mechanisms.
The LAN Manager administration courses -- LAN Manager 2.00 Systems
Administration and LAN Manager 2.00 Integration and Operation -- will
train support engineers and systems integrators to take full advantage
of the additional security options, peer services, replication,
domains, and fault-tolerance measures of LAN Manager 2.00.

Availability
------------

LAN Manager 2.00 will begin shipping to OEMs around the first of the
year. OEMs will be announcing shipment schedules separately. Microsoft
LAN Manager Version 2.00 requires the OS/2 operating system Version
1.20, and a minimum of 5 megabytes (MB) RAM and a fixed disk on the
server. It supports either OS/2 1.10, OS/2 1.20, or DOS 3.30 or later
on the client workstations.

Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ "MSFT") develops, markets and supports a
wide range of software for business and professional use, including
operating systems, languages and application programs, as well as
books, CD-ROM products and hardware for the microcomputer marketplace.

# # #

Microsoft, MS-DOS and the Microsoft logo are registered trademarks of
Microsoft Corporation.

Ashton-Tate is a registered trademark of Ashton-Tate Corporation.

IBM is a registered trademark and PC-DOS is a trademark of
International Business Machines Corporation.

386 and 486 are trademarks of Intel Corporation.

Saros and Saros FileShare are trademarks of Saros Corporation.

COPYRIGHT Microsoft Corporation, 1989.
Updated  89/11/07 05:00