[comp.os.os2] Summary Wanted

leonard@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jon B Leonard) (02/03/90)

Hello all,

   I am looking for some info that I am sure has been beaten to death on
this newsgroup.  What I need is a list of what is needed to run OS/2, not
what the brochures say, but what is really needed for a good system.  Also,
what machines are known to run OS/2 and what machines won't, and what is
available both commercially and through the net as public domain (shareware,
freeware, etc) in the software area.  Any undocumented features (bugs)?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

                Jon Leonard
                leonard@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

phg@cs.brown.edu (Peter H. Golde) (02/03/90)

In article <683@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> leonard@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Jon B Leonard) writes:
>Hello all,
>
>   I am looking for some info that I am sure has been beaten to death on
>this newsgroup.  What I need is a list of what is needed to run OS/2, not
>what the brochures say, but what is really needed for a good system.  Also,
>what machines are known to run OS/2 and what machines won't, and what is
>available both commercially and through the net as public domain (shareware,
>freeware, etc) in the software area.  Any undocumented features (bugs)?
>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>                Jon Leonard
>                leonard@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

I run OS/2 1.2 on a 20MHz (no cache) 386 with 4MB memory
and 64MB disk (45MB HPFS, 20MB FAT).  I am quite happy with
the performance.  If I try to run 6 or 7 processes at once,
swapping gets a bit excessive, but otherwise I am
very happy.  I would say you could get by with a 16MHz machine,
but if you are buying new the 20 MHz machines are almost as
cheap.  I don't know about 16/20 MHz 286 machines, but
they will probably be almost as good (until 2.0 comes out).

The machine I use is a Northgate machine and I recommend them
wholeheartedly.  Great service, well constructed, no compatibility
problems whatsoever.  You can get a little cheaper from some
of the smaller clone makers, but I have been burned before
(luckily recoverably -- I finally got my money back after
about 2 months) by small companies with big ads.  Their (Northgate)
prices are very competitive and often cheaper than their
ads due to lead time.  By all means give them a call in
any case if you are planning to buy.  Their sales reps
are very knowledgeable as such people go (i.e., they know
what OS/2 is, etc....)  And they ship really quickly too...
you'll probably get your machine in < 2 weeks.

--Peter Golde  (phg@cs.brown.edu)