[comp.os.os2] SCSI and OS/2

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (02/08/90)

In article <283.25C586B0@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Kenneth.Neal@p0.f69.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kenneth Neal) writes:

>  David, there where a few more details concerning SCSI, that I wanted to
>check with you.
>
>  Currently SCSI is only a Tecnical Standard.  That means it only
>defines, how the interface, transfers data.  It does Not say how the
>Hardware should be arranged.  Right now, there are a couple of different
>inplimintations of SCSI.  That altogether, might not nessasaraly work,
>together.
>
>  The Big change will happen, when someone sells a whole lot of their
>brand.  Or the more popular notion, when IBM releases their version, and
>everyone copies it.

>Kenneth Neal - via FidoNet node 1:140/22

There is an Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller which works with OS/2. I'v also
heard about anc Chicony controller which should work with OS/2 too.

These controllers simulate an ST-506 interface an therefore run any OS
which runs on a ST-506 (like WD-1003, WD-1006 controllers).

They may have another interface too to allow access to more than two
drives. The ST-506 interface is limited to two drives and so is the
simulation by the SCSI controller too. But if you have a big enough
SCSI disk (200-600 MB) you will probably not need even a second disk.

Kai Uwe Rommel
Munich
rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de