[comp.os.os2] Hooks for Task Manager

Jim.Gilliland@p34.f200.n157.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Gilliland) (02/02/90)

 CL> Here is the question:  "Has anyone out there written a Task Manager
 CL> similarto the one in OS/2 1.0, or has anyone had any ideas about doing
 CL> so?"

I know of no one who has tackled this, but I can see no reason that it
couldn't be done.  Before you re-invent the wheel, though, keep in mind that
the Task Manager from 1.0 was quite usable under 1.1.  I don't know of anyone
who has tried it under 1.2, but it may work there as well.  Good luck.

--
Jim Gilliland - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!157!200.34!Jim.Gilliland

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (02/08/90)

In article <480.25CC1F96@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>, Jim.Gilliland@p34.f200.n157.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Gilliland) writes:

|  CL> Here is the question:  "Has anyone out there written a Task Manager
|  CL> similarto the one in OS/2 1.0, or has anyone had any ideas about doing
|  CL> so?"
|
| I know of no one who has tackled this, but I can see no reason that it
| couldn't be done.  Before you re-invent the wheel, though, keep in mind that
| the Task Manager from 1.0 was quite usable under 1.1.  I don't know of anyone
| who has tried it under 1.2, but it may work there as well.  Good luck.

	It nearly works, but has trouble bringing down the system.
Typing CONTROL-ALT-DELETE or running the boot command usually switches
to another session or, if there are no other sessions, back to
the task manager.  It would be real nice if Microsoft would document
the DOSSM* calls.  Wasn't one of the selling points of OS/2
that there wouldn't be a lot of undocumented entry points and that
you could "even write your own task manager?"

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*