[comp.os.os2] Os/2 Comm. Manager

Mikael.Wahlgren@p0.f104.n203.z2.FIDONET.ORG (Mikael Wahlgren) (02/01/90)

In a message to Loren Jones <01-22-90 19:52> Ron Merts wrote:

<RM>in the blank).  If I read the docs right, you cannot use
<RM>the COM0x.SYS
<RM>drivers in conjunction with the ASYNCxxx.SYS drivers the
<RM>Comm Manager
<RM>uses.  I am not an expert on OS/2 by any stretch of the
<RM>imagination; but
<RM>it seems to me that this will disable the use of ANY other
<RM>communications

   Well, I think it is still possible to run the COM0x-driver on another
COM-port.  There ARE some people around having one COM-port to connect to
the local mini, and another COM-port for the modem.  It is possible to use
CM for the mini communications, and a public communication program for the
modem...  But still....  CM is worthless.
         / Mikael

--
Mikael Wahlgren - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!2!203!104.0!Mikael.Wahlgren

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (02/07/90)

In article <15325@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, osbornk@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn)
writes

>In article <233.25C35E80@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Mikael.Wahlgren@p0.f104.n203.z2.FIDON
>ET.ORG (Mikael Wahlgren) writes:
>>In a message <01-18-90 18:49> Dave Chatfield wrote:
>>
>>   The problem with PM communication programs, seems to be, that they
>>don't manage the throughput at 9600 baud.  Anyone knowing if it is really
>>possible to write in a PM application with that speed (with a 386 16 Mhz)?
>>   I have avoided writing my communication programs for PM because of the
>>performance weakness.

>I have a Wyse 286 running at 10 Mhz.  It can't even keep up with 2400
>baud in a PM window.  Scrolling just kills the throughput.  (I blame
>the poor design of VGA.)  This has stifled my attempts at writing a PM
>communication program and makes me wary of other PM communication
>programs.  Has anybody discovered a solution besides getting a 386?

How about getting a Mac?

Lawrence "Intel who?" D'Oliveiro
Computer Services Department
University of Waikato
Hamilton
New Zealand
ldo@waikato.ac.nz

osbornk@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kasey S. Osborn) (02/09/90)

In article <77.25d05c83@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz writes:
|In article <15325@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, osbornk@uther.CS.ORST.EDU
|(Kasey S. Osborn) writes:
|>I have a Wyse 286 running at 10 Mhz.  It can't even keep up with 2400
|>baud in a PM window.  Scrolling just kills the throughput.  (I blame
|>the poor design of VGA.)  This has stifled my attempts at writing a PM
|>communication program and makes me wary of other PM communication
|>programs.  Has anybody discovered a solution besides getting a 386?
|
|How about getting a Mac?

Why not?  because:
1) No *real* multitasking.
2) No protected environment.
3) Price/performance.
4) Apple Corp.

BTW, it was suggested to me to use "scroll ahead."  Whenever you are about
to scroll, look ahead in the input buffer for additional scrolls and scroll
that many times at once.  X uses this technique.

Kasey S. Osborn
"There's a lot to be said for brevity."