[comp.os.os2] Installing an Icon

ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) (02/09/90)

I downloaded Logicomm from SIMTEL, it came with a file called Logicomm.ico.
Can anyone tell me how to install the icon in PM for v1.2?

Regards, Ajai.

slh@fred.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (02/10/90)

I think the program you want is ``load''.
I don't remember where it is available.

ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (02/11/90)

In article <775@sce.carleton.ca> ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to install the icon in PM for v1.2?

You just install the .ico file in the same directory, and with the
same root name, and with the same root name as the program it belongs to.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) (02/13/90)

/ hpmcaa:comp.os.os2 / ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) /  8:41 pm  Feb 10, 1990 /
In article <775@sce.carleton.ca> ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to install the icon in PM for v1.2?

>> You just install the .ico file in the same directory, and with the
>> same root name, and with the same root name as the program it belongs to.

Can you associates an icon with any exe file in this manner?

ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (02/13/90)

In article <10670016@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com> nacer@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Abdenacer Moussaoui) writes:

>Can you associates an icon with any exe file in this manner?

As far as I know this works for any .exe, except, probably, ones that
have an icon defined as a resource within the exe file. In Os/2 1.2, this
icon will get used to represent the program in the program group displays,
and when the program is minimized while running in a full-screen or PM window.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (02/17/90)

From article <775@sce.carleton.ca>, by ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal):

> I downloaded Logicomm from SIMTEL, it came with a file called Logicomm.ico.
> Can anyone tell me how to install the icon in PM for v1.2?

Full Screen programs know nothing about the Presentation Manager, so
naturally the .EXE files don't store any Icon information  for the
application.  Instead, these applications get the default VIO icon
(the terminal screen with OS/2 in it).

However, you can have special "icon" files (ending .ICO).  To activate these
put them in the same directory as the .EXE file you want it associated
with.  Name the .ICO file the same as the .EXE file, but with the .ICO
extension.

Now when the program is minimized, it will use the icon described in the
.ICO file.

For example, I put the Logicomm icon in the same directory as my KERMIT.EXE
file, and renamed the .ICO file KERMIT.ICO.  Now the Kermit program uses
the Logicomm icon (two PC's connected by a lightning bolt).

Version 1.2 of OS/2 has expanded this for use with data files as well.
From within the File Manager, you can use the Extended Attributes option
to provide the name of a .ICO file you want to associate with
that file.  From then on, that Icon will be displayed for that file within
the File Manager.

I have a collection of .ICO files for various purposes on my Opus bulletin
board.  (306) 966-4857, 300, 1200, 2400 baud.  The file name is
ICONS-HS.ZIP and is about 7K.  You will need the PKUNZIP program to unpack
this archive.

This BBS also has many other OS/2 programs available.  Unfortunately I
do not have FTP access here otherwise I would make it available.

-- Kevin Lowey (1:140/43 - LOWEY@SASK.USASK.CA)

herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (02/17/90)

From article <10682@june.cs.washington.edu>, by slh@fred.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano):

> I think the program you want is ``load''.
> I don't remember where it is available.

Load is a program similar to "start", except it tells the program being
loaded to minimize itself.  This lets you load a bunch of programs on
your desktop, without having to manually minimize the programs.  OS/2 1.2
almost eliminates the need for this program because you can now save the
desktop settings when you "shutdown".  However, LOAD will minimize some
programs that the Desktop won't.

This program is available at (306) 966-4857, 300, 1200, 2400 baud as
LOAD.ZIP, about 10K.

- Kevin Lowey (1:140/43 - LOWEY@SASK.USASK.CA)