[comp.os.os2] Mail/News with and OS/2 Server

rburns@cup.portal.com (Randy J Burns) (02/13/90)

Is there any software available that allows electronic mail
and news to be passed between an OS/2 Server and and Unix
Server?  Right now the only large computer that I have is
running OS/2, and I'd like to set this up. It seems fairly easy
to get an OS/2 system to respond to a remote terminal and MKS
sells an emulation of most unix commands. The main thing that is
missing is UUCP and mail/news readers(although I thing that some
of this might be handled through GNU Emacs).

Thanks.

meyer@suna5.cs.uiuc.edu (02/16/90)

/* ---------- "Mail/News with and OS/2 Server" ---------- */
>Is there any software available that allows electronic mail
>and news to be passed between an OS/2 Server and and Unix
>Server?  Right now the only large computer that I have is
>running OS/2, and I'd like to set this up. ...

IBM Recently announced a TCP/IP suite for OS/2 - retail was around
$700 as I recall.  I don't have the announcement any longer,
otherwise I'd send it to you - I suggest you contact IBM if
interested.

_____
   Don Meyer			Internet:  dlmeyer@uiuc.edu
   disclaimer:     How could UIUC policy possibly agree with me?  I'm too sane.
   quote du jour: "If, indeed, there exists Artificial Intelligence,
		     then there must also exist Artificial Stupidity"

ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (02/17/90)

In article <29900002@suna5> meyer@suna5.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>IBM Recently announced a TCP/IP suite for OS/2 - retail was around
>$700 as I recall.

The IBM Product, however, requires the Extended Edition of OS/2, not
SE.  That adds considerably to its cost (and its disk space requirements!),
and currently limits you to machines on which the IBM OS/2 will run.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (02/18/90)

In article <6800@ubc-cs.UUCP>, ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:
| In article <29900002@suna5> meyer@suna5.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
| >IBM Recently announced a TCP/IP suite for OS/2 - retail was around
| >$700 as I recall.
|
| The IBM Product, however, requires the Extended Edition of OS/2, not
| SE.  That adds considerably to its cost (and its disk space requirements!),
| and currently limits you to machines on which the IBM OS/2 will run.

	My TCP/IP package for OS/2 does not require Extended Edition.
If you are interested I can mail details.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*