[comp.os.os2] X Server for OS/2?

neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (02/12/90)

Has anyone heard of an X server that will run under PM for OS/2?

Regards
Martin Neath <neath@dsg.ti.com>
 DISCLAIMER: As always, the opinions expressed above are strictly my own
 and do not reflect those of my employer, Texas Instruments.

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (02/14/90)

In article <NEATH.90Feb12153058@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET> neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET writes:
>Has anyone heard of an X server that will run under PM for OS/2?
This seems a little awkward. Kind of like watching a television show on
a TV on a TV but worse. Both X Server and PM (albiet very different) are
windowing servers of a sort. The differences are greater. X is truely a
server, for which front ends must be made. PM is both server and interface
combined. The function and server calls for each system are very different
from each other. The only thing I could see happening is that a toolkit
could be written (maybe) for X that would simulate PM calls and
provide the same interface. For PM, I suppose you might be able
to have somekind of porting tool, but I don't think you would be able
to have X or X apps run under PM. Also it would defeat the purpose of
X since your apps would assume the PM interface and you would lose the
ability to create your own front end. Of course if Motif is your front
end, then it would be pretty close.

I could be wrong here, but this is my understanding of these two systems
at least in a basic sense. If anyone wishes to correct me or get more
complex, be my guest.

Richard Oppenheimer		oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu

lbruck@eng.umd.edu (Lewis Bruck) (02/14/90)

In article <6119@umd5.umd.edu> oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) writes:
>In article <NEATH.90Feb12153058@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET> neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET writes:
>>Has anyone heard of an X server that will run under PM for OS/2?
>This seems a little awkward. Kind of like watching a television show on
>a TV on a TV but worse. Both X Server and PM (albiet very different) are
>windowing servers of a sort. The differences are greater. X is truely a
>server, for which front ends must be made. PM is both server and interface

I am neither an X or PM expert, but it should be possible to have the X server
code running within a PM window.  It would be able to translate the low level
X packets into Gpi... calls and then interpret the mouse and keyboard inputs
into X packets.  The actual screen i/o for X is localized (for just this kind
of portability).  In terms of how complex such an port would be, it would be
dependent on how UNIX specific the actual code is, since OS/2 provides all
of the basic facilities needed, albeit in somewhat different flavors. It would
be interesting to compile the X11R4 system, if I only had the spare disk
space...

Lewis Bruck                     lbruck@eng.umd.edu

gilmore@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Scott Gilmore) (02/14/90)

In article <6119@umd5.umd.edu> oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) writes:
>In article <NEATH.90Feb12153058@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET> neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET writes:
>>Has anyone heard of an X server that will run under PM for OS/2?
>This seems a little awkward. Kind of like watching a television show on
>a TV on a TV but worse. Both X Server and PM (albiet very different) are
>windowing servers of a sort. The differences are greater. X is truely a
>server, for which front ends must be made. PM is both server and interface
>combined. The function and server calls for each system are very different
>from each other. The only thing I could see happening is that a toolkit
>could be written (maybe) for X that would simulate PM calls and
>provide the same interface. For PM, I suppose you might be able
>to have somekind of porting tool, but I don't think you would be able
>to have X or X apps run under PM.
>Richard Oppenheimer		oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu

There is a product called XVision that does exactly this under Microsoft
Windows.  According to the press announcement in comp.newprod of several months
ago, X applications can run in standard MS-Windows windows, one application
per window.  Or, the system can be configured so that one MS-Window is a
virtual X workstation in which multiple X-windows may reside.  The announcement
was nearly 200 lines long, so I'd rather not repost it here.  In leiu of that,
the vendor's name and address are

   VisionWare, PO Box 3991, Minneapolis, MN 55405, USA
   Tel +1-612-377-3627

   VisionWare Limited, The Leeds Business Park, Morley, Leeds LS27 0JG, UK
   Tel +44-532-522020. Fax +44-532-526614. Telex 556283. Email: vware@vison.uucp

I think it's almost inevitable that they will release a PM version of this
product.  I've never used it, but it sounds impressive.
---
Scott Gilmore                                   gilmore@vax1.acs.udel.edu
Mechanical Engineering and Center for Composite Materials, U. of Delaware

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (02/14/90)

From article <6119@umd5.umd.edu>, by oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer):
> In article <NEATH.90Feb12153058@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET> neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET writes:
>>Has anyone heard of an X server that will run under PM for OS/2?
[some stuff deleted]
> server, for which front ends must be made. PM is both server and interface
> combined. The function and server calls for each system are very different
> from each other.

  Hmm, this is interesting. Can OS/2 or PM act as a client also? I was
wondering if a OS/2 application can be run over a network similar to
X.  Or does PM have some sort of extension that one can build an external
user interface?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (02/14/90)

I seem to remember seeing a "research prototype" of an X11 server for
OS/2 being shown on the Interop '89 show floor by IBM.  It was by no
means being described as a product, or even a future-product.

-Ittai

mlegge@datlog.co.uk ( Martyn Legge ) (02/15/90)

neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET writes:

>Has anyone heard of an X server that will run under PM for OS/2?

>Regards
>Martin Neath <neath@dsg.ti.com>

I have seen an announcement by IXI of Cambridge that they
are working for Visionware on an X server for os/2.

Visionware are in Leeds.  The article ( in X.tr ) says its due to
be released "early next (ie this) year".

Hope this helps

Martyn Legge

golding@saturn.ucsc.edu (Richard A. Golding) (02/19/90)

In article <993@fiver.UUCP>, palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>   Hmm, this is interesting. Can OS/2 or PM act as a client also? I was
> wondering if a OS/2 application can be run over a network similar to
> X.  Or does PM have some sort of extension that one can build an external
> user interface?

Having worked both on the internals of PM and on X servers, I think I
can comment.

OS/2 generally isn't intended as a network operating system, but rather
as a single-user operating system which can, with difficulty, access
some remote services.  This is a near-inversion of the X/Athena model
of computing, where the local workstation is used mostly just for
display and perhaps some light computation or file storage, and remote
systems are used for heavy-duty computation.

Obviously an X server can be built to run under PM.  The simplest way
(and the way most layered X products seem to start out) is to simply
put an X server in a PM window.  PM provides most of the necessary
input events, and the X server can paint whatever bits it needs to.
However, you can't just compile the MIT X11Rx sample server and tweak
it a bit to get such a server.  The MIT server assumes (among other
things) large linear address spaces, sockets (though X11R4 includes
streams support, I believe), and Unix-style signals.

A more sophisticated X server, where the X clients' windows are put in
separate PM windows, is virtually out of the question.  PM doesn't
support the richness of window types (how do you treat the
TRANSIENT_FOR hint?) that X does, and it doesn't have the mechanics to
support ICCCM-compliant applications (e.g. PM isn't very flexible in
its focus model.)  PM would have to serve as the X window manager,
which leads to interesting questions about mapping/unmapping windows
and reparenting support, as well as questions as to how well the X
selections model can work with the PM clipboard (for they are very
different.)  (For non-X types:  an X window manager is different from
the window system.  The window system implements windows.  The window
manager handles borders and things like resizing windows.  The toolkit
provides widgets and application-building tools.  The session
manager... and so on.)

I'd also guess that it will be quite a while before PM can support any
of the X extensions -- SHAPES certainly seems out of the question at
present, and OS/2 doesn't have memory models (in version 1.x) that can
support  PEX or VEX.  (This is particularly sad since so many DOS
machines get sold specifically because they will support cheap video
hardware.)

In short, I think that PM and X are two quite different beasts.  It
shouldn't be too hard to support PM under X, since PM provides so many
fewer services; given that several different interfaces to X already
exist (Xlib, Xt (using Athena, Motif, or ATT Open Look), CLX, Xview,
InterViews, Andrew) I don't think there are any doubts that PM would
work.  (Note that Motif is *not* PM under X; Motif is a widget set
which contains, among other things, widgets similar in function to the
the PM controls.  It is, however, based on Xt.)  The reverse, however,
seems more problematic.

-richard
Richard A. Golding, Crucible (work) and UC Santa Cruz CIS Board (grad student)
Internet:  golding@cis.ucsc.edu   Work: {uunet|ucscc}!cruc!golding
Post: Baskin Centre for CE & IS, Appl. Sci. Bldg., UC, Santa Cruz CA 95064
  or: 519 California St., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
  or: Crucible, 1717 Seabright #1, Santa Cruz CA 95062