[comp.os.os2] Getting started with OS/2

DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) (02/22/90)

I'm interested in developing programs for the PM. What's the minimum software
investment necessary to get started? I suspect you need the following:

1. MS-C 5.1
2. OS/2
3. some sort of SDK???
4. debugging tool(s)???
Also, what kind of hardware do I need? I have an 80386SX with 1Mb memory
and 40Mb hard disk. I know I need more memory, but how much more?Would
two displays be helpful? On a related note, what protected mode editors
are available that have good macro languages?
Thanks.

--Dwaine

ballard@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (02/23/90)

In article <90053.090052DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu> DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:
>I'm interested in developing programs for the PM. What's the minimum software
>investment necessary to get started? I suspect you need the following:
>
>1. MS-C 5.1
>2. OS/2
>3. some sort of SDK???
>4. debugging tool(s)???

Yes, OS/2 and MS-C (there are some alternatives to MS/C now).  The
minimum development kit is Microsofts "Softset", which contains
all the header file and development tools you need, including
a version of codeview that can be used for debugging. For more
money, you can get the Presentation Manager Toolkit from MS, which
includes lots of sample code and online documentation, and books
and manuals.  IBM also has a version of the Toolkit for even more money.
(but in the past, IBM have done free upgrades for ach release, while
MS has charged.  The IBM one also includes some additional material.)
It is possible to do development without the toolkit or softset, but
for anything serious you really want it.  (And even for playing around,
they'll save you a lot of hassles.)
If you buy any toolkit today, make sure you get the 1.2 version, which
is available but not nevessarily on the shelves.

>Also, what kind of hardware do I need? I have an 80386SX with 1Mb memory
>and 40Mb hard disk. I know I need more memory, but how much more?

Three meg would be an absolute minimum; you'd do a whole lot of swapping.
I'd recommend five or 6 meg.  (5 is quite adequate.)

>Would two displays be helpful?

I believe two displays is Microsoft's recommended way of debugging, but
I've never had the luxury of trying.  It is quite do-able with one.

>On a related note, what protected mode editors
>are available that have good macro languages?

"Brief" and "Epsilon" are two well-known DOS editors that are available
in OS/2 protected mode versions.  Both have good macro capabilities,
bit neither is particularly cheap.  There is also a version of microemacs
(free) that runs under OS/2.  I haven't played with it much so can't comment
on how well it works.
Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116