[comp.os.os2] Some questions about PS/2 model 55

d88-cwe@nada.kth.se (Christian Wettergren) (02/20/90)

Hello!

I'm currently doing some work on an IBM PS/2 model 55, and I need some info;

1. How do I get an IO-port and an interrupt-channel on PS/2s. I need a rather
   technical explanation, because I have to code that part. (Isn't the MCA in-
   -volved in some way??)

2. What interrupt-controllers do you have on an PS/2? Is it the same structure
   that the old AT has (no, how strange?) with a master PIC and a slave PIC?
   Is it the MCA that selects IRQ-channel or is it some other interface?

3. If this is the wrong newsgroup, where should I post this kind of questions?

I've been looking all over our library, but I can't find anything at all...
Should I look in some particular book, paper etc etc...

Thanks a lot in advance,

	Christian Wettergren, d88-cwe@nada.kth.se

gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (Rainer Gerten) (02/20/90)

In article <2996@draken.nada.kth.se> (Christian Wettergren) writes:
>1. How do I get an IO-port and an interrupt-channel on PS/2s. I need a rather
>   technical explanation, because I have to code that part. (Isn't the MCA in-
>   -volved in some way??)
>2. What interrupt-controllers do you have on an PS/2? Is it the same structure
>   that the old AT has (no, how strange?) with a master PIC and a slave PIC?
>   Is it the MCA that selects IRQ-channel or is it some other interface?
>I've been looking all over our library, but I can't find anything at all...
>Should I look in some particular book, paper etc etc...

As far as I know, the PS/2-machines are quite upward compatible to the
IBM AT in their structure, but far more flexible (and software-programmable).
For getting information about the interrupts and the io-ports, you should
look in the "Personal System /2 model 55 technical reference" and the
"Personal System /2 bios reference manual". There are a lot of other book
around, but I use these two quite often.

Rainer Gerten
University of Kaiserslautern
West-Germany
mail: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

d88-cwe@nada.kth.se (Christian Wettergren) (02/23/90)

Thank you for your help!

I do have the Techrefs now, so my problems should be solved...

I know now that I should use c.s.i.p instead of this newsgroup.

Regards,
	Christian Wettegren, d88-cwe@nada.kth.se