[comp.os.os2] Printing WordPerfect Docs

REDELMAN@AUVM.BITNET (Richard B. Edelman) (02/28/90)

I am running WordPerfect 5.0 for OS/2 under OS/2 1.1 on a PS/2-70
with an Epson-500 LQ printer.  I notice when I print, an X is
printed at the top of the beginning page of the document.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?  Using the same
hardware booted under DOS (and using WP5.0 for DOS), an X does
not appear.

Richard Edelman
The American University
Washington, DC

REDELMAN@AUVM.BITNET

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (03/01/90)

I have WordPerfect 5.0 but never go around to installing it.  Is there now a
version which works under OS/2?  How can I upgrade?  Does it help that I haven't
removed the shrinkwrap from the disks?  Also, how easy is it to learn?
Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/01/90)

In article <DKB.90Feb28154406@fritz.cs.brown.edu>, dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:
> I have WordPerfect 5.0 but never go around to installing it.  Is there now a
> version which works under OS/2?  How can I upgrade?  Does it help that I haven't
> removed the shrinkwrap from the disks?  Also, how easy is it to learn?

There is an OS/2 version, the upgrade cost from the DOS version of 5.0
is either $75 or $85, as I recall.   Call Word Perfect's toll free 800
number for more information.  Ask for the OS/2 department/group.
I have the number 1-800-321-1230, but this might just be a Canadian
number (many 800 numbers are the same in Canada and the U.S., but some
are not).

Although DOS version 5.1 is out, the OS/2 version is still 5.0.  And,
I should point out that it's based on the revision of version 5.0
which came out over a year ago -- bugs and all.  While the bugs have
been cleaned up in the DOS version of 5.0 (users were shipped replacement
diskettes), the same is *not* the case with the OS/2 version.   Most things
work fine, but it is *slightly* brain-damaged.  When I first got the
update, I was told that they would be shipping out replacement diskettes
to take care of all the bugs (but that wanted to take their time to make
sure all the bugs were indeed out).   Now, the word I get is that they
are working on being able to ship the OS/2 version of 5.1.  This is
supposed to be ready in June. It will be a PM version (OS/2 1.1
required, it doesn't appear as if it will run on 1.0).  It should be
quite nifty, since it will not be text-based (I presume this means that
you can now fit an 80-character Times Roman 10 line of print within the
width of the screen so that you can read the whole page without the
irritating shifts from one edge to the other).

Hope this helps.   Disclaimer: call WP for more *exact* information.

Douglas Baer , Dept. of Sociology,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX
Telephone:
           [office] (519)-661-3859
           [leave messages, M-F 9-4pm EST] (519)-661-3606