[comp.os.os2] DOS & OS/2 on ST 4096

orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/21/90)

    I am a new OS/2 user trying to install OS/2 and DOS on the same drive.  I
recently purchased an ST4096.  This drive is particular so I have to use
Disk Manager on it.  With Disk Manager I can get as many partitions as I want
except I can only have one DOS partition.  My questions are:

	1) How can I get multiple WORKING DOS partitions on my 4096?

	2) How can I get a bootable OS/2 and DOS on the same drive?

	3) What is HPFS?  I've read mention of it but I don't know what it is.

    Please help!!!

    Brady...
Brady Orand - University of Kansas Computer Center  Lawrence, Ks.  66045

ORAND@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Work:  (913) 864-0490
Home:  (913) 749-1341

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (02/22/90)

In article <22322.25e2574c@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>    I am a new OS/2 user trying to install OS/2 and DOS on the same drive.  I
>recently purchased an ST4096.  This drive is particular so I have to use
>Disk Manager on it.  With Disk Manager I can get as many partitions as I want
>except I can only have one DOS partition.

	You must have a strange controller. I have several ST4096's. They all
do not require anything like Disk Manager. Most are on DTC MFM controllers.
DOS 4.01 FDISK partitions it fine.
	But from what I remember about Disk Manager, it does allow multiple
DOS partitions without any problem as well. Perhaps you are allocating the
whole disk as one big 80Mb partition. Make the primary DOS partition 32Mb.
Only one DOS partition can be "active". This just means bootable. The other
DOS partitions are accessible for data, files, etc.

orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/22/90)

In article <22322.25e2574c@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>     I am a new OS/2 user trying to install OS/2 and DOS on the same drive.  I
> recently purchased an ST4096.  This drive is particular so I have to use
> Disk Manager on it.  With Disk Manager I can get as many partitions as I want
> except I can only have one DOS partition.  My questions are:
>
> 	1) How can I get multiple WORKING DOS partitions on my 4096?
>
> 	2) How can I get a bootable OS/2 and DOS on the same drive?
>
> 	3) What is HPFS?  I've read mention of it but I don't know what it is.

Another question:
	4) Why can't I use FDISK (OS/2) when I boot from the hard drive?

gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (Rainer Gerten) (02/22/90)

In article <22322.25e2574c@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>    I am a new OS/2 user trying to install OS/2 and DOS on the same drive.  I
>recently purchased an ST4096.  This drive is particular so I have to use
>Disk Manager on it.  With Disk Manager I can get as many partitions as I want
>except I can only have one DOS partition.  My questions are:

AS far as I know, Diskmanager isn't able to work around with OS/2, because
it's a DOS only solution for harddisks, which are not in the ROM-table.
You have to get a device driver for OS/2.

>	1) How can I get multiple WORKING DOS partitions on my 4096?

Under DOS 3.3 and DOS 4.x you can create a single "primary" partition and
a "secondary partition", which is able to represent several logical
drives. Under DOS 4.01 you can also build one big partition out of your
disk (this ist better for space using, but worse for repartitioning.

>	2) How can I get a bootable OS/2 and DOS on the same drive?

There is the possibility to work with the "dual boot option", if DOS and
OS/2 are installed on the same FAT-partition.

>	3) What is HPFS?  I've read mention of it but I don't know what it is.

This is a new file-system with improved performance and improved features.
But it is incompatible with DOS x.xx ! You can't read this kind of partitions
under DOS. If you seldom use DOS, go ahead with HPFS under OS/2 and use
the DOS-Box only (if thats satisfactoring). HPFS is only under OS/2 Version 1.2
available, not with 1.0 and 1.1.

>    Please help!!!
>
>    Brady...

Your welcome

Rainer Gerten
University of Kaiserslautern
West-Germany
mail: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/23/90)

In article <997@rna.UUCP>, dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
> In article <22322.25e2574c@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>    I am a new OS/2 user trying to install OS/2 and DOS on the same drive.  I
>>recently purchased an ST4096.  This drive is particular so I have to use
>>Disk Manager on it.  With Disk Manager I can get as many partitions as I want
>>except I can only have one DOS partition.
>
> 	You must have a strange controller. I have several ST4096's. They all
> do not require anything like Disk Manager. Most are on DTC MFM controllers.
> DOS 4.01 FDISK partitions it fine.
> 	But from what I remember about Disk Manager, it does allow multiple
> DOS partitions without any problem as well. Perhaps you are allocating the
> whole disk as one big 80Mb partition. Make the primary DOS partition 32Mb.
> Only one DOS partition can be "active". This just means bootable. The other
> DOS partitions are accessible for data, files, etc.

    I've tried this but DM won't allow multiple DOS partitions.  I can have
as many READ/WRITE as I want but I can't have more than one DOS partition.

    Am I doing something wrong??

    Brady...
Brady Orand - University of Kansas Computer Center  Lawrence, Ks.  66045

ORAND@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Work:  (913) 864-0490
Home:  (913) 749-1341

schock@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Roland Schock) (02/28/90)

Use the DiskManager only for the low level formatting of Your
hard disk. DON'T allow it to create the partitions. (Check if
there are really no partition table on Your disk with one of
the usual disk editors e.g. NU)
Then install OS/2 and DOS with the dual boot option. You
should use MS-DOS 4.01 or Compaq DOS 3.31 or better. These
will allow You DOS partitions greater than 32 Meg.
I'm using at work Compaq DOS 3.31 and OS/2 1.1 with an ST 4096
and a WD 1006 combi controller. I have only one 80 Meg partition
for DOS and OS/2. ( By the way, HPFS would need it's own partition!)
For the dual boot I'm using the boot program of Kai Uwe Rommel,
which works fine.

Roland Schock
schock@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de

Electric monks are useful devices.

Douglas Adams

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (03/01/90)

I haven't heard of the Kai Uwe Rommel dual boot program before.  Please tell
me more, especially features, availability, and price