[comp.os.os2] Emacs Editor for OS/2?

neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (02/21/90)

Has anyone seen or heard of an emacs-like editor that runs on a PS/2 under OS/2
(either standard or extended edition)?  If there is  a port of  GNU Emacs, that
would be even better :-)

Regards
Martin Neath <neath@dsg.ti.com>
 DISCLAIMER: As always, the opinions expressed above are strictly my own
 and do not reflect those of my employer, Texas Instruments.

towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM (Mark Towfigh) (02/23/90)

In article <NEATH.90Feb21125728@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET>
neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET writes:

   Has anyone seen or heard of an emacs-like editor that runs on a
   PS/2 under OS/2 (either standard or extended edition)?  If there is a
   port of GNU Emacs, that would be even better :-)

Unfortunately, there is no port of GNU Emacs that I know of right now.
In fact, I don't think it will be worth it until OS/2 2.0, when memory
addressing problems and size constraints will go away, and the OS will
be written in 386 code -- GNU Emacs needs to access a lot of memory.

However, I presently am using Epsilon 4.0 from Lugaru Software, Inc.,
and I am very happy with it -- its macro language is *just like* C,
which makes writing new commands really easy.  Check it out.

Hope this helps,
Mark
--
Mark Towfigh, Racal Interlan, Inc.                 towfiq@interlan.Interlan.COM
W: (508) 263-9929 H: (617) 488-2818                       uunet!interlan!towfiq

  "The Earth is but One Country, and Mankind its Citizens" -- Baha'u'llah

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (02/25/90)

In a message dated 24-Feb-90, Mark Towfigh writes:

 >> Has anyone seen or heard of an emacs-like editor that runs on a
 >> PS/2 under OS/2 (either standard or extended edition)? If there is a
 >> port of GNU Emacs, that would be even better :-)
 >
 >Unfortunately, there is no port of GNU Emacs that I know of right now.
 >In fact, I don't think it will be worth it until OS/2 2.0, when memory
 >addressing problems and size constraints will go away, and the OS will
 >be written in 386 code -- GNU Emacs needs to access a lot of memory.

MicroEmacs has been ported to OS/2 and should be readily available from the "usual" sources.

david

--
     UUCP: ...!munnari!csource!david  <Fido/ACSNET Gate>
 Internet: david@csource.oz.au

sean@mercury.sybase.com (Sean Fitts) (02/25/90)

In article <NEATH.90Feb21125728@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET> neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET writes:
>Has anyone seen or heard of an emacs-like editor that runs on a PS/2
>under OS/2 (either standard or extended edition)?  If there is  a port
>of  GNU Emacs, that would be even better :-)

Epsilon is an emacs-like editor that runs under both OS/2 and DOS.  I
am not aware of a freeware version of emacs that runs under OS/2.

>Regards
>Martin Neath <neath@dsg.ti.com>
> DISCLAIMER: As always, the opinions expressed above are strictly my own
> and do not reflect those of my employer, Texas Instruments.

Happy programming.		Sean

Sean Fitts                           "As you have no doubt figured out,
Sybase                                the opinions are mine not Sybase's"
6475 Christie Ave.
Emeryville, CA 94608           sean@mercury.sybase.com    -or-
(415) 596-3925                 {mtxinu,pacbell,sun,pyramid}!sybase!sean

                  "Character is what you are in the dark."

donh@microsoft.UUCP (Don HACHERL) (03/01/90)

In article <NEATH.90Feb21125728@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET> neath@solar-1.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET writes:
>Has anyone seen or heard of an emacs-like editor that runs on a PS/2 under OS/2
>(either standard or extended edition)?  If there is  a port of  GNU Emacs, that
>would be even better :-)

I'd recommend Epsilon by Lugaru Software.  Its extension language is
C-like rather than Lisp-like, but is a fast, bug-free, and powerful
emacs editor.  The current release runs under all versions of OS/2
that I've tried (and I've tried a lot).  The list price is $195, but
you can get it for ~$150 from discount houses.  I have no relation to
Lugaru except as a very satisfied customer.

Don
--
Don Hacherl		"Sorry, no pithy quotes today"
donh%microsof@uunet.uu.net  or  {uunet|uw-beaver}!microsoft!donh

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (03/02/90)

I too recommend Epsilon.  I have used it under MS-DOS for about 5 years. I
have upgraded whenever a new version has come out.  I like it so much that a
year ago when I had to do Xenix development work, I requested and got Epsilon
for Xenix.  A month ago I had to start working with ISC 386/ix and got Epsilon
for that.  Now that I have OS2, I have Epsilon for THAT.

You can call me a satisfied customer.

rmacfarq@cs.strath.ac.uk (Roderick F MacFarquhar IE87) (03/04/90)

Has no-one mentioned Slick yet in this discussion (sorry I can't
remember off-hand who makes it) ?

I used this before I used emacs and it's only after seeing emacs that
I realise the similiarities.

They also had good telephone support - on the occasion when I tried
them out they were able to solve my problem despite the fact the
problem was related to a change between OS/2 1.1 and the pre-release
OS/2 1.2 I was using.

Just another satisfied customer

 Roderick MacFarquhar - Information Eng IV, Strathclyde University
 Janet rmacfarq@cs.strath.ac.uk    Internet rmacfarq%cs.strath.ac.uk@nsf.ac.uk
 'There's a worm in my head and a fish in my bed'

sar@datcon.UUCP (Simon A Reap) (03/07/90)

:
> Roderick MacFarquhar - Information Eng IV, Strathclyde University
(Hi, Roddy!)

Slick is produced by Microedge Inc, PO Box 2367, Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 670-4575.  The only UK source I found was "The Software
Construction Company" on 0763-73455 (very nice, helpful people).

It's a modeless, multifile editor, with a very powerful programming
language for key bindings, a good, extendable help system and a
built-in file manager.  The key-bindings can vary depending on the type
of file you are editing (C source, Pascal source, directory listing etc
etc), and it even works in DOS.  What more could you want?
--
Enjoy,
yerluvinunclesimon      Opinions are mine - my cat (1CC) has her own ideas