[comp.os.os2] Popping noise in switching OS/2 <-> Dos box

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (03/06/90)

How come when I switch back and forth with Alt-Esc among my sessions,
when I end up in my Dos box I hear a little popping noise from my
8513 screen?  This has happened pretty consistently since I got this
PS/2-70 (last August).  Is this indicative of a problem??
Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (03/06/90)

Re: Popping noise on screen

>>> How come when I switch back and forth with Alt-Esc among my sessions,
>>> when I end up in my Dos box I hear a little popping noise from my
>>> 8513 screen?  This has happened pretty consistently since I got this
>>> PS/2-70 (last August).  Is this indicative of a problem?

I, too, have noticed a small popping noise on some occasions, but not
in the environment mentioned.

It happens to me (sometimes) under DOS when the screen content undergoes
a dramatic change, say from a full screen editor in graphics mode, switching
back to the plain DOS prompt.  This has occurred with EGA and VGA monitors.

This has gone on for a couple of years without any apparent damage to
anything (except my peace of mind).

I would be very pleased to know what electronic/mechanical phenomenon is
going on.

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (03/08/90)

In article <-283389995@hpcupt1.HP.COM> swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
>Re: Popping noise on screen

>I, too, have noticed a small popping noise on some occasions, but not
>in the environment mentioned.
>
>It happens to me (sometimes) under DOS when the screen content undergoes
>a dramatic change, say from a full screen editor in graphics mode, switching
>back to the plain DOS prompt.  This has occurred with EGA and VGA monitors.

The poping could be dust inside causing the static electricity to arc across
when the screen "undergoes a dramatic change".. nothing to worry about..
although I would bet it does it when you turn the monitor off.
--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell}!csccat!jack