[comp.os.os2] MAJOR DISASTATER !!!

ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) (03/02/90)

OK I really blew it this time. I upgraded my system to a 20MHz 80386 with an
80387, AMI Bios dated 9-15-89, CHips & T chipset. I still have an ATI VGA
Wonder with 512K, Miniscribe 3035 with Western Digital Controler.
OS/2 1.2 no longer works! I Can't get past the boot phase. I see a "TRA" on
the screen (after the com drivers load) and the system hangs. When I tried
the install disk it hung after loading the virtual disk. In desperation I
tried reloading V1.1EE (IBM Version). It installed OK but would not complete
the boot (screen went white like the PM background then system hung). Both
my OS/2 versions are IBM (not MS). I've been through the manuals, but they
are too superficial. My good buddies at IBM say that support is guaranteed
only for OS/2 running on PS/2 machines (they were originally bought for a
model 70).

Can anyone suggest a solution. This evenings frustration is enough to push
me back to DOS ! (As a matter of fact I'm now back to DOS) Is anyone out
in Internet land using the BIOS-CHipset combo mentioned above for OS/2?
Any help would be appreciated, please send E-Mail to ajai@sce.carleton.ca

Ajai

rtb89@cbnewse.ATT.COM (roy.t.bradstrum) (03/06/90)

In article <791@sce.carleton.ca>, ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) writes:
> OK I really blew it this time. I upgraded my system to a 20MHz 80386 with an
> 80387, AMI Bios dated 9-15-89, CHips & T chipset. I still have an ATI VGA
> Wonder with 512K, Miniscribe 3035 with Western Digital Controler.
> OS/2 1.2 no longer works!

> Can anyone suggest a solution.
> Ajai

I have run across two problems in my limited experience of installing
OS/2 on non-IBM machines.

Make sure that your memory above 640K is extended and not expanded.
This sounds really elementary but there was nothing about memory
setup in either my 1.1 or 1.2 documentation and it tripped me up
on my first attempt to install OS/2.

Since you have a new motherboard find out the speed of the
bus. If it is not 8mhz you may have an incompatibility with
your graphics card. I have a friend who had a 10mhz bus motherboard
which worked fine with his VGA card in DOS but would not work in OS/2.
He was able to slow the bus dowm to 5mhz and everything
worked fine.

The symptoms you described sound more like this problem than
the memory problem.

Hope this helps, I have heard a lot about incompatabilities with
hard drive controllers and OS/2 but since you are keeping the
same hard drive controller this shouldn't be the problem.

Todd Bradstrum
AT&T Technologies
Naperville IL.

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (03/08/90)

An interesting problem with OS/2 was reported internally at IBM last
year. It seems that some IBM machines would die attempting to run OS/2
and that the problem was fixed by replacing memory chips until OS/2
didn't die. The conclusion was that OS/2 bangs on memory harder thant
the IBM memory diagnostic programs. There might be a connection with
the 10mhz iobus.
--
Phone:	 (home) 219-482-9631
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us		{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/09/90)

In article <16563@well.sf.ca.us> feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) writes:
>didn't die. The conclusion was that OS/2 bangs on memory harder thant
>the IBM memory diagnostic programs. There might be a connection with

How, may I ask, does one piece of software "bang on memory harder" than
another?  With a Virtual Hammer?  Enquiring minds want to know?

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (03/10/90)

In article <791@sce.carleton.ca>, ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) writes:
| OK I really blew it this time. I upgraded my system to a 20MHz 80386 with an
| 80387, AMI Bios dated 9-15-89, CHips & T chipset. I still have an ATI VGA
| Wonder with 512K, Miniscribe 3035 with Western Digital Controler.
| OS/2 1.2 no longer works! I Can't get past the boot phase. I see a "TRA" on
| the screen (after the com drivers load) and the system hangs. When I tried
| the install disk it hung after loading the virtual disk. In desperation I
| tried reloading V1.1EE (IBM Version). It installed OK but would not complete
| the boot (screen went white like the PM background then system hung). Both
| my OS/2 versions are IBM (not MS). I've been through the manuals, but they
| are too superficial. My good buddies at IBM say that support is guaranteed
| only for OS/2 running on PS/2 machines (they were originally bought for a
| model 70).
|
| Can anyone suggest a solution. This evenings frustration is enough to push
| me back to DOS ! (As a matter of fact I'm now back to DOS) Is anyone out
| in Internet land using the BIOS-CHipset combo mentioned above for OS/2?
| Any help would be appreciated, please send E-Mail to ajai@sce.carleton.ca

	I had a similar problem.  Try replacing the keyboard controller.
Possibly you could just try a different brand keyboard instead.  OS/2
seem to be very sensitive to keyboard controllers:  I have a machine
much like the one you describe.  It will hang booting OS/2 1.2
when used with its "own" keyboard (a "2001") but will boot correctly
with the keyboard from a Bell Tech box.  It will also boot correctly
with its "own" keyboard if its keyboard controller is replaced with
any of several non-AMI brands.
	I also have a Phoenix keyboard controller which will provoke
a crash from OS/2 1.1 (under certain obscure conditions) when installed in
any of several 386 boxes.  (If anyone wants to borrow it... :)

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (03/11/90)

I'm not sure. XCOPY, however, causes critical errors on my disk drive
which I associate with the intense disk i/o occurring in conjunction
with the mass read and then mass write that XCOPY does during the file
transfer.
--

ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) (03/14/90)

In article <2143@husc6.harvard.edu>, ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) writes:
> with the keyboard from a Bell Tech box.  It will also boot correctly
> with its "own" keyboard if its keyboard controller is replaced with
> any of several non-AMI brands.

Kudos (sorry what a stupid word!) to Dan Lanciani for solving the problem.
I replaced the AMI 8042 Keyboard Controller with the 8042 from my old
AT motherboard (a SUNTAC) and OS/2 1.2 works just fine now. I must say it
is a real pleasure being back in OS/2 world after having to revert to
DOS 4.0 for two weeks! Once again this wonderful resource (Internet News)
has proven its usefullness. Thanks again Dan.

Ajai

yozzo@larouch.uucp (Ralph Yozzo) (03/16/90)

In article <2143@husc6.harvard.edu> ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) writes:
>In article <791@sce.carleton.ca>, ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) writes:
>| OK I really blew it this time. I upgraded my system to a 20MHz 80386 with an
>| 80387, AMI Bios dated 9-15-89, CHips & T chipset. I still have an ATI VGA
>| Wonder with 512K, Miniscribe 3035 with Western Digital Controler.
>| OS/2 1.2 no longer works! I Can't get past the boot phase. I see a "TRA" on
>| the screen (after the com drivers load) and the system hangs. When I tried
>| the install disk it hung after loading the virtual disk. In desperation I
>| tried reloading V1.1EE (IBM Version). It installed OK but would not complete
>| the boot (screen went white like the PM background then system hung). Both
>| my OS/2 versions are IBM (not MS). I've been through the manuals, but they
>| are too superficial. My good buddies at IBM say that support is guaranteed
>| only for OS/2 running on PS/2 machines (they were originally bought for a
>| model 70).
>|
>| Can anyone suggest a solution. This evenings frustration is enough to push
>| me back to DOS ! (As a matter of fact I'm now back to DOS) Is anyone out
>| in Internet land using the BIOS-CHipset combo mentioned above for OS/2?
>| Any help would be appreciated, please send E-Mail to ajai@sce.carleton.ca

I've seen something like this also.
What I did was booted with DOS and removed the
c:\os2\OS2SYS.INI from the PROTSHELL statement in the C:\CONFIG.SYS file.

==Ralph E. Yozzo ==
==Arpanet: yozzo@ibm.com==
==Bitnet: yozzo@yktvmx.bitnet==
==Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!yozzo ===Ph:(914)945-3634 or 564-4731