[comp.os.os2] Looking for device driver references

lodwick@vixvax.mgi.com (Phil Lodwick) (03/16/90)

I am currently attempting to write an OS/2 character device driver.
Not knowing much about the subject, I am getting most of my
information from "Advanced OS/2 Programming" by Ray Duncan.  I was
wondering if anyone knew of other references that might be useful.
I am particularly interested in seeing sample source code.

Thank you,
Phil Lodwick

Management Graphics, Inc.      E-mail:  Lodwick@mgi.com
1401 E. 79th Street            Voice:   (612) 851-6145
Minneapolis, MN  55425         Fax:     (612) 854-6913

ballard@stilton.cc.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (03/16/90)

In article <65.25ffa3be@vixvax.mgi.com> lodwick@vixvax.mgi.com (Phil Lodwick) writes:
>I am currently attempting to write an OS/2 character device driver.
>wondering if anyone knew of other references that might be useful.

You might look at "Writing OS/2 Device Drivers", by Raymond Westwater,
Addison Wesley 1989, ISBN 0-201-52234-9.
It looks pretty good and includes some complete samples.  I haven't actually
tried implementing anything based on it however.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: Alan_Ballard@mtsg.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

harish@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU (Harish Pillay) (03/16/90)

In article <65.25ffa3be@vixvax.mgi.com> lodwick@vixvax.mgi.com (Phil Lodwick) writes:
>I am currently attempting to write an OS/2 character device driver.
>Not knowing much about the subject, I am getting most of my
>information from "Advanced OS/2 Programming" by Ray Duncan.  I was
>wondering if anyone knew of other references that might be useful.
>I am particularly interested in seeing sample source code.
>
>Thank you,
>Phil Lodwick
>
>Management Graphics, Inc.      E-mail:  Lodwick@mgi.com
>1401 E. 79th Street            Voice:   (612) 851-6145
>Minneapolis, MN  55425         Fax:     (612) 854-6913

The following may be of interest to you and perhaps to readers of this
newsgroup.

    Writing OS/2 Device Drivers
    Westwater, Raymond    ISBN 0-201-52234-9
    1989 Addison-Wesley $24.95  516 pages softcover

    Topics covered (from the back page):
      - Device Driver Structure
      - Device Driver Flow of Execution
      - Driver Development Strategies
      - I/O Packets
      - Device Helper Services
      - Sample programs for PIPE driver, RAMDISK driver, TIMER driver

I found this book useful for writing non-network device drivers. The author
can be reached via e-mail on MCI:FUTUREWARE (though I did not receive any
reply to my query :-()

    The code in the book may be ordered from:

	  FutureWare, Inc.
	  78 Temple Ave, Suite 15,
	  Hackensack, NJ 07601-6026

          Telephone: 201-343-2033
	  Fax: 201-343-3921

    The assembly language sample programs cost $19.95.  The C Language
Interface for Device Drivers and OS/2 Debugger cost $49.95.

---
Harish Pillay                                       harish@ece.orst.edu
Oregon State University

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (03/20/90)

There is an excellent book on OS/2 device drivers available:
"Writing OS/2 Device Drivers" by Ray Westwater, published by Addison
Wesley $24.95 ISBN 0-201-52234-9

--
Phone:	 (home) 219-482-9631
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel