[comp.os.os2] Is it possible to define a VDISK for DOS Box DOS to use?

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (03/15/90)

The title basically says it all.  I suspect the answer is no.  It would
be great if the DOS compatability box DOS could use extended or expanded
memory, but if I put my thinking hat on for a moment, I guess that would
architecturally be a problem since OS/2 manages memory above 1 Meg
(and above 640 K? probably not because that's where memory-mapped I/O
is done so DOS needs to manage that).  So, am I right in assuming that
my DOS Box can't have a virtual disk?
Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

lbruck@eng.umd.edu (Lewis Bruck) (03/16/90)

In article <32811@brunix.UUCP> dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:
>The title basically says it all.  I suspect the answer is no.  It would
>be great if the DOS compatability box DOS could use extended or expanded
>memory, but if I put my thinking hat on for a moment, I guess that would
>architecturally be a problem since OS/2 manages memory above 1 Meg
>(and above 640 K? probably not because that's where memory-mapped I/O
>is done so DOS needs to manage that).  So, am I right in assuming that
>my DOS Box can't have a virtual disk?

The DOS Box cannot have it's own virtual disk, but you can install a VDISK
for OS/2 and the DOS box can use it.  With a piece of software like Novell
Requester it is also possible to access a network file server from the DOS
box.

>Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
>U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
>           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
>           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

Lewis Bruck
lbruck@eng.umd.edu

dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) (03/17/90)

Really?  How can you define an OS/2 VDISK?  And why would you want to -
wouldn't it slow down the machine due to less paging memory available?

kulokari@cc.helsinki.fi (03/17/90)

In article <32811@brunix.UUCP>, dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:
> The title basically says it all.  I suspect the answer is no.  It would
> be great if the DOS compatability box DOS could use extended or expanded
> memory, but if I put my thinking hat on for a moment, I guess that would
> architecturally be a problem since OS/2 manages memory above 1 Meg
> (and above 640 K? probably not because that's where memory-mapped I/O
> is done so DOS needs to manage that).  So, am I right in assuming that
> my DOS Box can't have a virtual disk?

No, you are wrong. As a little test would have revealed, the OS/2 VDISK.SYS
is a dual-mode driver.

Hannu Kulokari

CC, U of Helsinki
kulokari@cc.helsinki.fi

kevinro@microsoft.UUCP (Kevin ROSS) (03/20/90)

In article <DKB.90Mar16143956@anquetil.cs.brown.edu> dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:
>Really?  How can you define an OS/2 VDISK?  And why would you want to -
>wouldn't it slow down the machine due to less paging memory available?

The VDISK.SYS driver is included in the standard release of OS/2. It works
just like DOS.

Why would you want it? The same reason that you would use a VDISK under DOS:
Its faster.

Many programs (like compilers, etc) create temporary files on a disk. If this
disk was a RAM disk, the access time becomes very fast.

You need to be careful in choosing the size of a VDISK, especially on a
small memory machine. If you have a 2 meg machine, setting up a .5 meg VDISK
would be a very bad idea, since you are leaving very little memory left for
applications to run in. I have a 13 meg machine, with a 1 meg RAM drive,
and it proves to be a very good thing.

Of course, you would be losing the battle if you create a VDISK, and then
make it your swap device!

sean@mercury.sybase.com (Sean Fitts) (03/21/90)

In article <DKB.90Mar16143956@anquetil.cs.brown.edu> dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:

>Really?  How can you define an OS/2 VDISK?  And why would you want to -
>wouldn't it slow down the machine due to less paging memory available?
>Dilip Barman     dkb@cs.brown.edu
>U.S. mail: Brown University                       Home: 19 Elton Street
>           Dept. of Computer Science, Box 1910          Providence, RI 02906
>           Providence, RI 02912 (401)863-7666           (401)521-9731

To define a VDISK you use the VDISK.SYS driver that comes with OS/2.
Any VDISK you define is visible from both OS/2 and the penalty box.
As for why, we find it help when doing large compiles to have the
temp files on the vdisk (thus avoiding paging all together).

			-Sean
Sean Fitts   / Sybase  /  6475 Christie Ave.  /  Emeryville, CA 94608
sean@mercury.sybase.com  -or- {mtxinu,pacbell,sun,pyramid}!sybase!sean

"As you probably already know, the opinions are mine and not Sybase's"
                  "Character is what you are in the dark."