[comp.os.os2] Why Isn't Microsoft Replying ????

lima@nixsin.UUCP (Arthur Lim) (03/13/90)

Hello everyone in the Netland,

[I hope somebody from Microsoft reading this would care to comment :-)]

I have this frustrating experience in dealing with MS that I have to air
hoping that I can get some answers.

I bought the MS OS/2 SDK from MS directly last year (1989) and got the SDK
version 1.06.  Although it was promised in the package that I would get
continuous update till the final release, I received no news about the
release of the SDK 1.1 from MS even though "the world" is already using and
discussing about SDK 1.1. After several faxes (refaxes) and phone calls, I
finally got hold of the information I needed to order the update from the
International Customer Service.

A couple of months later, this net is filled with discussions about the 1.2.
Even the release (?) of 2.0 for developers was heard. Again I wrote a fax to
the International Customer Service requesting for update information. And
months later, I have still to get a reply from MS.

This experiences has set me wondering. What is happening at MS International
Customer Service ? Why are they not replying ? Has anyone similar experience
to tell me what's going on ?

Could anyone kindly fill me in with the details/information on how I can get
hold of the OS/2 1.2 (and subsequently 2.0) without these hassles ?

Thanks to anyone who could enlighten me.

Arthur Lim  Nixdorf Regional HQ Pte Ltd, Singapore
!usa: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!lim.sin
usa : uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!lim.sin

gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (Rainer Gerten) (03/27/90)

In article <771@nixsin.UUCP> lima@nixsin.UUCP (Arthur Lim) writes:
>Hello everyone in the Netland,
>
>I have this frustrating experience in dealing with MS that I have to air
>hoping that I can get some answers.
>
>I bought the MS OS/2 SDK from MS directly last year (1989) and got the SDK
>version 1.06.  Although it was promised in the package that I would get
>continuous update till the final release, I received no news about the
>release of the SDK 1.1 from MS even though "the world" is already using and
>discussing about SDK 1.1. After several faxes (refaxes) and phone calls, I
>finally got hold of the information I needed to order the update from the
>International Customer Service.
>
>A couple of months later, this net is filled with discussions about the 1.2.
>Even the release (?) of 2.0 for developers was heard. Again I wrote a fax to
>the International Customer Service requesting for update information. And
>months later, I have still to get a reply from MS.
>
>This experiences has set me wondering. What is happening at MS International
>Customer Service ? Why are they not replying ? Has anyone similar experience
>to tell me what's going on ?
>
>Could anyone kindly fill me in with the details/information on how I can get
>hold of the OS/2 1.2 (and subsequently 2.0) without these hassles ?
>
>Thanks to anyone who could enlighten me.

Here's another OS/2-story:

We bought in August 1987 MS OS/2 SDK Ver. 1.0 with DIAL-Support and so on
for DM 8000,- !. This covered regular updates until the final release
of Ver. 1.1 PM.
This happend:
Ver. 1.0 was't able to install on PS/2 (this was us told when we had
payed the kit). Half a year later we got SDK 1.0 Ver. 1.01 and we
installed it (with a lot of pain !), but it had a lot of problems. Some
months ago we got SDK Ver. 1.02, but the bugs were so many, that we
didn't use it. Then nothing happend for a while, after that we got Ver. 1.03
and 1.04 (at the same time). There was a part of LAN-Man. and an upgrade
for 1.02 with PM.
A year later we were asked, if we wanted to continue the mail-support.
I told to MS, that:
- the MS DIAL-support was awful, because the communication-connections
  (over Datex-P) seldom worked.
- the answers on DIAL TAR's constisted only of promises, no solutions
- we were waiting for the final OS/2 update and never got it.
  (The original OS/2 1.1 was then sold by IBM to regular users!).
- We stopped any OS/2-Development because of the significantly bad support.

A technical engineer called me and we talked a while about the problems
and he promised me, that we should get the update. One week later we got
two updates, SDK Ver. 1.05 and 1.06, neither completly working. I phoned again,
they told me to wait for SDK Ver. 1.07.

              I am still waiting!!!

Thats a story of OS/2-support over here in old germany. Some
questions, wy some people are angry ?

Until we get better support (for that lot of money) we 'll wait with OS/2-
development. This means not, that we dislike OS/2, but we can't
throw money away.

We have similar problems with MS-Windows (286 and 386) Ver. 2.11 with
the support from MS. (Bought updates for Windows and had problems,
only answer: some useless hints and no real solution or correction;
wait for Windows 3.0).

QUESTION to MS: Are you really shure, that you want to compete with
UNIX, if this way of support stays on?

Resumee: I personally would prefer OS/2, but until I have no final OS/2 1.1
I will continue using DOS (partially Windows) for applications and
UNIX for development. This includes no OS/2 course over here too.

Rainer Gerten
University of Kaiserslautern
mail: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (03/30/90)

Microsoft apparently wiped out part of their OS/2 DDK mailing list at one
point and was not able to update customers who didn't call in to ask
where their updates were. I encourage everyone with IBM's OS/2 to
upgrade to the latest IBM release (March 90) of 1.2. It works very
well and has support for HP Laserjet printers although the install
program needs a little help. The 1.2 DDK update is supposed to be out
this month or next for $200. No word on when the 2.0 DDK will be
available or how much it will cost. Apparently the best way to get
info is to visit Microsoft in Redmond.
--
Phone:	 (home) 219-482-9631
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel