[comp.os.os2] Turbo C++ under OS/2 ??

mikem@otc.otca.oz (Mike Mowbray) (05/25/90)

Does anyone know whether there's a version of Borland Turbo C++ for OS/2 ?

		Mike Mowbray	    ACSnet: mikem@otc.oz
				      UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.oz!mikem

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/26/90)

mikem@otc.otca.oz (Mike Mowbray) writes:
>Does anyone know whether there's a version of Borland Turbo C++ for OS/2 ?

Last I heard, Borland has NO plans on ever porting any of their compilers to
OS/2.  Borland actually surveyed their users of their compilers and not a
single one said they were ever going to need to use OS/2.  Borland was working
on porting Turbo C to OS/2, but after this survey, the project was abandoned
from my understanding.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

davidi@well.sf.ca.us (David Intersimone) (05/27/90)

in message 7820 John Archambeau asks if we will do Turbo C++ for os/2...

at our product announcement on May 14th and for the last 9 months we have
told the world that we are committed to building products (languages and
applications) for DOS, Windows, and OS/2.  Turbo C++ currently supports
developing applications for DOS.  we are working on the support for
other systems.  The issues for development have been that both Windows
and OS/2 have been in transition for the last year or so.

In the windows world everyone was waiting for the 3.0 version.  Now it is
out and we'll support it in a future release.  In the OS/2 world, everyone
is anticipating the 2.0 version that supports 32 bit mode - finally a large
linear address space...  we will support OS/2 also with our languages and
tools.

In fact for windows 3 support - last tuesday at the win3 announcement in
New York and around the country, we demonstrated our Paradox Engine package
as a dynalink library.  that technology has both a traditional C and als
(also) a c++ oop layer to it.  demonstration programs (forms oriented kind of
things) were shown written in an internal version of the Turbo C++ compiler.

So no announcement date, just showing our committment to all the three
Intel chip based platforms.

We have not abandoned OS/2.  It takes time to come out with good products for
each platform.  We did Turbo C++ first for DOS - the rest will come in
future releases.  When they are ready, we will announce and ship those
products like we did Turbo C++ - we announced on May 14th and were shipping
products that day - in fact we gave everyone at the launch a copy of the
product to take home with them.

David Intersimone (better known as David I)
Director, Developer Relations
"Turbo Language Ambassador to the World"
Borland International

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (05/27/90)

davidi@well.sf.ca.us (David Intersimone) writes:
>in message 7820 John Archambeau asks if we will do Turbo C++ for os/2...

I quite frankly don't care if you do make an OS/2 product or not.  What I
personally would like to see is a Xenix or Unix System V/386 3.2 based
compiler that is capable of compiling to any Intel based operating system out
there (i.e. OS/2 (even though I personally don't use it, others do), DOS,
Windows, and Unix System V/386 3.2).  Currently, all one can do is just either
compile to DOS, Unix, or Xenix if you're using a Unix based compiler.  OS/2
and Windows compilation from Unix doesn't exist.

My understaind based on what I've read (either from the FidoNet C conference
or in a magazine article) that Borland had no plans on ever developing OS/2
compilers.  Well, if anybody's going to correct me, it might as well be the
manufacturer.  :)

>So no announcement date, just showing our committment to all the three
>Intel chip based platforms.

Don't forget the fourth platform, Unix.  As time marches on, I find I spend
more time in Unix.  My DOS usage is so limited these days that I don't do
anything that VP/ix can't handle.  Granted I did order Quattro Pro at the $99
promo price, but unfortunately I do not have the hard drive space to install
it under my current system.  The big test for Quattro Pro will be if it runs
glitch free under VP/ix.  Unfortunately, I don't have DOSWindows for the
Sun SPARCstation 1 at work, so I can't fire it up on there and see if it runs.

Something I think that Borland should consider doing is developing the
multiplatform Intel compiler that can compile from DOS to OS/2, OS/2 to Unix,
Unix to DOS, etc.  I am happy with your DOS based C compiler as it does the
job quite nicely and look forward to seeing your C++ compiler, but within a
year or so time frame, I probably won't be looking for any more DOS software
at all since it will all will most likely be strictly Unix.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*

osbornk@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kasey S. Osborn) (05/29/90)

In article <2834@crash.cts.com> you write:
|davidi@well.sf.ca.us (David Intersimone) writes:
|>in message 7820 John Archambeau asks if we will do Turbo C++ for os/2...
|
|I quite frankly don't care if you do make an OS/2 product or not.  What I
|personally would like to see is a Xenix or Unix System V/386 3.2 based
|compiler that is capable of compiling to any Intel based operating system out
|there (i.e. OS/2 (even though I personally don't use it, others do), DOS,
|Windows, and Unix System V/386 3.2).  Currently, all one can do is just either
|compile to DOS, Unix, or Xenix if you're using a Unix based compiler.  OS/2
|and Windows compilation from Unix doesn't exist.

Not entirely true.  At work (Statware, Inc.) I use SCO Unix System V (v?).
It will build objects for DOS & OS/2 by doing cc -dos or cc -os2.  I believe
it is a port of MSC 5.1 or so.  I wouldn't be surprised if Windows objects
could be built as well.  Even CodeView 2.4.3 has been ported to this
environment.  At last, a real debugger for the Unix environment!

byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Bill Yock) (05/30/90)

From article <2813@crash.cts.com>, by jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau):
> mikem@otc.otca.oz (Mike Mowbray) writes:
>>Does anyone know whether there's a version of Borland Turbo C++ for OS/2 ?

> Last I heard, Borland has NO plans on ever porting any of their compilers to
> OS/2.  Borland actually surveyed their users of their compilers and not a
> on porting Turbo C to OS/2, but after this survey, the project was abandoned
> from my understanding.

I wouldn't say they have no plans of ever supporting it.  At a recent Paradox
conference PK hinted at some of there directions in the future.  Basically,
they forsee the Windows market as more critical than the OS/2 market and the
OS/2 market as being before the Unix environment.  I think Borland will try to
develope stuff for what they think is the short term operating system market.
Now if enough people will call Borland asking for OS/2 TC++ maybe their
impressions will change.  By the way they do have a OS/2 version of Paradox
but they are behind in porting the new 3.0 version changes to it.
--
Bill Yock, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242
byock@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu