[comp.os.os2] Coming Newsgroup Changes

rja@edison.cho.ge.com (rja) (06/04/90)

  This posting is intended to make sure that all are informed of
the soon-to-be-implemented changes in the IBM PC related newsgroups.
Everything described here was discussed, voted upon, and passed the
normal net.guidelines so this isn't some arbitrary illegal change.

The new groups below will be created:

comp.os.os2.apps		-- for OS/2 applications discussions
comp.os.os2.programmer		-- for OS/2 programmer discussions
comp.os.os2.misc 		-- for all other OS/2 stuff

comp.os.msdos.apps		-- for MS-DOS applications discussions
comp.os.msdos.programmer	-- for MS-DOS programmer discussions
comp.os.msdos.misc		-- for all other MS-DOS stuff

comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware	-- XT/AT/EISA hardware   (any vendor)
comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware	-- Microchannel hardware (any vendor)
comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc		-- Everything else for IBM PCs & compatibles

Then about a month from now, the groups below will be deleted and the
traffic in these groups-to-be-removed should appear in the single most
appropriate group that has been created above (or another existing
newsgroup).

comp.os.os2			-- note 3 new OS/2 groups above
comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer      -- note 2 new programmer groups above
comp.sys.ibm.pc			-- note ALL of the new groups above

Here are some examples of where existing discussions fit in the
new framework:

  programming languages and the API and BIOSes and such are all
    in comp.os.{msdos or os2}.programmer

  questions about what hardware can be used with what OS are in the
    hardware groups as would be discussions of printers, displays, keyboards,...

  discussions of databases, spreadsheets, wordprocessors, shareware,
    freeware, tools, & other applications would belong in ~.apps

  discussions/questions about installing an OS or getting the config.sys
    correct or using the OS user-level commands would all go into
    comp.os.{os2 or msdos}.misc

  TCP/IP networks for PCs under whichever OS are discussed in
    comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc and this will not change at all.

The existing newsgroup alt.msdos.programmer is not in USENET proper and
so is not going to be changed by me or any USENET vote.  I would urge
however that once the new comp.os.{ os2 or msdos}.programmer groups
have been created that the folks on ALTNET rmgroup alt.msdos.programmer
and use the USENET group comp.os.msdos.programmer instead.  The signal/noise
ratio of the newly cretaed USENET groups should be excellent and there
is no particularly good purpose (IMHO) served by having two newsgroups
with the same charter.

ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) (06/04/90)

In article <9006031711.AA22157@edison.CHO.GE.COM> rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:

>  This posting is intended to make sure that all are informed of
>the soon-to-be-implemented changes in the IBM PC related newsgroups.
>Everything described here was discussed, voted upon, and passed the
>normal net.guidelines so this isn't some arbitrary illegal change.
>
>The new groups below will be created:
>
>comp.os.os2.apps		-- for OS/2 applications discussions
>comp.os.os2.programmer		-- for OS/2 programmer discussions
>comp.os.os2.misc 		-- for all other OS/2 stuff

If this has all been discussed 'normally' etc., why is this the first
mention I've seen of it in this newsgroup?  (I don't read any of the
others ...)

--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp@bohra.cpg.oz