[comp.os.os2] Help needed: IBM OS/2 1.20 hangs during boot

tslee@oracle.uucp (Terry Lee) (06/02/90)

Upon booting the hard disk, OS/2 cranks with informative messages for about
40 seconds, clears the screen, then hangs.  The disk becomes quiet.  Keyboard
input is to no avail, eventually filling the input buffer and beeping
thereafter.

This system has been able to run OS/2 only when ESCaping out of the Install
boot diskette, otherwise hangs everytime.  The installation was absolutely
vanilla, no hacks, etc. and has been repeated without any luck.

Hardware is a Mini 386/20, 8 Megs 80ns Ram, ST4096 80 Meg drive, EGA, Microsoft
mouse, 3 1/2 disk drive on A:.  Intel CPU with Chips and Technologies CHIPset,
and Phoenix bios.

The only oddieites is that the installation mistakenly thinks the card is a
CGA.  A CGA card was put in and OS/2 reinstalled, but still hangs in the same
place.

Any Advice?  Thanks in advance.

Terry Lee

erik@tvcent.uucp (Eirk Peterson) (06/04/90)

In article <1990Jun2.034210.10279@oracle.com> tslee@oracle.uucp (Terry Lee) writes:

>Upon booting the hard disk, OS/2 cranks with informative messages for about
>40 seconds, clears the screen, then hangs.  The disk becomes quiet.  Keyboard
>input is to no avail, eventually filling the input buffer and beeping
>thereafter.
>
>This system has been able to run OS/2 only when ESCaping out of the Install
>boot diskette, otherwise hangs everytime.  The installation was absolutely
>vanilla, no hacks, etc. and has been repeated without any luck.
>
>Hardware is a Mini 386/20, 8 Megs 80ns Ram, ST4096 80 Meg drive, EGA, Microsoft

I'm not sure if a 4096 is SCSI or not.  I will guess that it is.  What type
of controller are you using??  Many DOS uses will use a Future Domain SCSI
controller instead of buy a better, faster, more expensive 7000 FAST card.
If it is a SCSI system and you are using a FD card, that is your problem.

FUTURE DOMAIN SCSI CARDS DO NOT WORK WITH OS/2

If it isn't scsi, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Erik Petersen
Canadian Vertical Systems