[comp.os.os2] encoding conventions--- please post nonstandard encoders

root@dialog.stgt.sub.org (Christian Motz) (06/02/90)

In article <ankf34.h8e@wang.com> mike@wang.com (Mike Sullivan) writes:
>the subject and summary says it all...

First of all I fully agree with Mike on the subject. If you must use a
nonstandard encoding mechanism (i.e. one  not  in  widespread  use  on
UseNet), then at least show people the curtesy  and  post  the  source
code for the decoder with the binary. In addition I  think  a  lot  of
people would appreciate it  the  posters  would  use  standard  UseNet
procedures for posting binaries instead of some weird methods used  on
other nets.
   Therefore, I  would  like  to  propose  standardization  of  binary
postings in the newsgroups that don't adhere to the established UseNet
standards at the moment. If you have a binary to post, try compressing
it with a standardized tool available on as many systems as  possible.
Use "compress", "zoo", "pkzip" or, if you  must, "arc". These programs
are available for almost all systems, so there shouldn't be a  problem
in unpacking them for most people.
   Next, "uuencode" the compressed binary. "uuencode" is probably  the
most commonly used binary-to-ascii-tool on UseNet (just look  at  most
of the binary newsgroups). If you don't have a copy of the program,  I
am sure you can get one from a friendly UseNet administrator near you.
It can be made to run on almost any machine, the source code is *VERY*
portable.
   If the resulting file has more than 1000 lines (or, if  you  don' t
want to count lines, 60 KBytes), split  it  up  into  multiple  files.
There will be a lot less problems if you do this, and might  save  the
binary from being mangled at some sites.
   Most people have done this so far, but missed one small point  that
I would like to add -- this is also the reason why I have cross-posted
this  to  comp.os.os2.  Please  create  shell   archives   using   the
"shar"-utility from the split uuencoded files. The  big  advantage  is
that shar will also automatically extract  the  files  as  they  were,
without the need for loading the file in an editor,  removing  leading
and trailing garbage like headers,  signatures  and  so  forth.  Thus,
binaries can be recreated from the postings almost automagically. This
procedure is also used on almost all the binary newsgroups --  except,
and  this  is  my  gripe  --  on  comp.binaries.os2   and   here,   in
alt.sex.pictures. I  hope  that  the  moderator  of  comp.binaries.os2
and the people posting here consider this. It  would  make  a  lot  of
people very happy, I am sure.

Thank you, readers of comp.os.os2, you may return  to  your  regularly
scheduled program :-) ...

As for the people in alt.sex.pictures, I would like to make  one  last
suggestion: let us elect GIF the file format of  choice,  rather  than
having a lot of different standards. I have  an  Amiga,  but  I  would
never dream of posting an IFF file, although  I  know  there  are  IFF
viewers for other machines. I think GIF will do  just  fine.  But  you
already knew that, didn't you ;-).

Thanks everyone for bearing with me up to this point ...
								  (jd)

--
Christian Motz                                root@dialog.stgt.sub.org

vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com ( VTC) (06/03/90)

In article <1997@dialog.stgt.sub.org> root@dialog.stgt.sub.org (Christian Motz) writes:
>In article <ankf34.h8e@wang.com> mike@wang.com (Mike Sullivan) writes:
>>the subject and summary says it all...
>
>standards at the moment. If you have a binary to post, try compressing
>it with a standardized tool available on as many systems as  possible.
>Use "compress", "zoo", "pkzip" or, if you  must, "arc". These programs
>are available for almost all systems, so there shouldn't be a  problem
>in unpacking them for most people.

Whoa - most of these pictures are GIF files, and these are already LZW
compressed.  You will find that some of them even get BIGGER if you try
to compress them.

Jeff

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (06/04/90)

As the moderator, I suppose I'm obliged to post a reply...

Christian Motz <root@dialog.stgt.sub.org> writes:
> Most people have done this so far, but missed one small point that I
> would like to add -- this is also the reason why I have cross-posted
> this to comp.os.os2.  Please create shell  archives  using  the
> "shar"-utility from the split uuencoded files.  The big advantage is
> that shar will also automatically extract the files as they were,
> without the need for loading the file in an editor, removing leading
> and trailing garbage like headers, signatures and so forth.

I'm willing to do this *IF* someone provides a piece of software to do
this.  I can't take the time to write it myself.

> This procedure is also used on almost all the binary newsgroups --
> except, and this is my gripe -- on comp.binaries.os2 and here, in
> alt.sex.pictures.

The posting software used in comp.binaries.os2 is courtesy of Bill
Davidsen and is the exact same thing used in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

Comments from anyone else?

[ \tom haapanen   --   university of waterloo  --  tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ comp.binaries.os2 moderator -- submissions to os2bin@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]

roelofs@amelia.nas.nasa.gov (Ender Wiggin) (06/04/90)

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

>As the moderator, I suppose I'm obliged to post a reply...
>
>Christian Motz <root@dialog.stgt.sub.org> writes:
>>                       Please create shell  archives  using  the
>> "shar"-utility from the split uuencoded files.  The big advantage is
>> that shar will also automatically extract the files as they were,
>> without the need for loading the file in an editor, removing leading
>> and trailing garbage like headers, signatures and so forth.

  [stuff deleted]

>The posting software used in comp.binaries.os2 is courtesy of Bill
>Davidsen and is the exact same thing used in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
>
>Comments from anyone else?

Insofar as there is a standard "combine" script (at least on Unix boxes)
which handles the "leading and trailing garbage" quite adequately (without
the need for an explicit edit session), I for one see no particular reason
to change.  The only files *I* ever have to edit and clean up are shar
files...(of course, there's probably an "unshar" program or something
similar around here, but, well, er, I've never bothered to find out...).

IK90100@MAINE.BITNET (John H. Folkers) (06/05/90)

I first of all would like to say I agree with Christian, however
I would like TONS more information on what the shar utility
is and how to use it to send stuff, as well as how to use it
to receive stuff from netnews. Thanks, and I think this applies
to quite a few people on this group since no one has yet used
this method.
-JF

|  "Do not ever destroy any aspect of personality, for what you may   |
|      think is the wild branch may be the heart of the tree."        |
Ask Me About: GIF, SUNs, PBM, MTS, SIGs, RPI, ACM, FTP, DOS, IRC, BBSes
Toward more picturesque speech, refer to a thesaurus.
John H. Folkers, 22 yrs, student, chef, skier, biker.       ..--+
Bitnet: IK90100@MAINE.bitnet, USERGPQ8@RPITSMTS.bitnet     /    |
Internet: IK90100@maine.maine.edu, foljh@pawl.rpi.edu     /     |
                                                        ..      |
     The Garden of Eden was composed                   |       /
 /c   of green grass, thick forests   /c               |    ._/
 c/    innocent sex and a sin worth   c/               | ./-
              leaving for.                             |.      Maine

root@dialog.stgt.sub.org (Christian Motz) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun4.041310.15743@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

>As the moderator, I suppose I'm obliged to post a reply...

Not really, but it's nice of you anyway :-)

> [My comments about posting binaries in shell archives deleted]
>
>I'm willing to do this *IF* someone provides a piece of software to do
>this.  I can't take the time to write it myself.

That should be no problem. I will take the "shar" source code with  me
to work and compile it (shouldn't be a problem,  since  it  is  fairly
portable). I will then try to get it to you, mailers willing.  I  will
probably post it to alt.sex.pictures anyway.

>The posting software used in comp.binaries.os2 is courtesy of Bill
>Davidsen and is the exact same thing used in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

Seems I have been dealing with the UN*X-community too long :-)

--
Christian Motz                                root@dialog.stgt.sub.org