[comp.os.os2] OS/2 UPDATE, 3 partitions

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (06/22/90)

In article <7402.2680db9c@me.chalmers.se>, jasv@me.chalmers.se writes:
> Do anyone out there know how to install OS/2 on a system with
> three partitions? One C: HPFS (40MB) with OS/2 1.2 on it, one
> C: FAT (5MB) with DOS 4.01 on it and one D: FAT (75MB) with DOS
> and OS/2 documents on it. I recently got an update to the
> swedish version of 1.2 but the installation program ceep
> telling me that it cant install on a partition with less than
> 12 MB. I have 30 MB free on the HPFS partition!

I suspect that it wants a FAT partition for the boot partition, and it is
interpreting what it finds in the HPFS as a very full FAT system!

> I tried to install it "by hand" but dont know how to create
> DISPLAY, OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI

I can only speak for IBM 1.2, but this bit is easy. DISPLAY is a copy of
whatever DLL you need for your display (in my case, IBMVGA.DLL). You also
need to do some SETs in CONFIG.SYS, but these are documented in the IBM
manual "Using Advanced Features" which comes with OS/2. It also tells you
about the MAKEINI program which makes new .INI files from .RC files. Pick
the right .RC files from the installation disk - the names for your system
should be fairly obvious.

---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk        | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
*** NB *** Do NOT use the return path in the article header ***************

duncanb@ibmpcug.co.uk (D G Booth) (06/27/90)

In article <940@metapyr.UUCPdavid@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) writes:
> In order to partition a disk so that both DOS & OS/2 can use it and boot from
> it requires that you follow some special rules.
>
> The first rule is that DOS won't (can't) access a FAT partition that is on a
> disk after a HPFS partition.  Therefore for your needs all your FAT partitions
> must be before the HPFS partition.
>
> Secondly the boot partition must be a FAT partition (for access by both
> systems).

Neither of these are completely true. My hard disc is partitioned
as follows:
1) 220Mb HPFS. Boot partition for OS/2 only.
2) 20Mb FAT. Boot partition for DOS only.
3) 79Mb FAT. Shared OS/2 DOS partition.

Note that partition number 2 is DOS only - i.e. OS/2 does not see it.
To get a disc like this install as follows:

    Backup your files.
     Delete any old partitions.
    Install OS/2. FDISK and FORMAT to give a 220Mb primary partition.
    Boot up DOS from a floppy. Use FDISK to create a 20Mb primary DOS
    partition, and the rest of the disc as a secondary DOS partition.
    FDISK at this point will see the OS/2 partition as an alien partition
    so it will leave it alone.

Now if you use fdisk (or the pm equivalent) to change the active partition
between 1 and 2, you will boot to OS/2 or DOS respectively.
Shared files go on DRIVE D:, the third partition.
Better than fdisk, there are programs around that will give you a menu on each
reboot when you can select the partition to boot from (with a timeout
default).

Duncan Boothe
--

[...]

Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not
represent the views of the IBM PC User Group.