[comp.os.os2] Harddisk

st@heike.uucp (Stefan Timphus) (06/28/90)

Is the format of a harddisk under OS2 compatible to DOS.
Can I boot a machine which normally runs OS2 with DOS and read and write
the HD. Which DOS-Version will I need.
                              Stefan

Stefan         st@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Timphus        ...{uunet,mcsun}!unido!heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de!st
               Phone: +49 231 755-3419

tonyci@microsoft.UUCP (Tony CICCONE) (07/03/90)

In article <2289@laura.UUCP> st@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Stefan Timphus) writes:
>Is the format of a harddisk under OS2 compatible to DOS.
>Can I boot a machine which normally runs OS2 with DOS and read and write
>the HD. Which DOS-Version will I need.

OS/2 supports both FAT and the HPFS filesystems.  DOS supports only FAT.  The
simplest way to allow OS/2 and DOS to use a computer is simply to use FAT
as your filesystem.

HPFS provides performance advantages over FAT, and there are many ways to
configure your system to allow DOS access to partitions while still letting
OS/2 get advantages from HPFS.  As one of the better methods I've seen to
do so, I direct you to <10207@lindy.Stanford.EDU>.  If this article has
expired at your site, mail me, and I'll forward it to you.

Tony Ciccone
tonyci@microsoft.com