[comp.os.os2] OS/2 2.0 and DOS query

ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) (07/12/90)

I want to have MS.DOS 3.3 and OS/2 2.0(pre) both bootable on the same
system for various reasons including NFS access. OS/2 2.0 lacks a
dual-boot option.

How do I do this?

NB There was a suggestion for having two primary partitions, one for
OS/2 and one for MS.DOS. I cannot do this with MS.DOS 3.3.

Thanks for any assistance.

--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp@bohra.cpg.oz

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (07/12/90)

In article <402@bohra.cpg.oz>, ejp@bohra.cpg.oz (Esmond Pitt) writes:
> I want to have MS.DOS 3.3 and OS/2 2.0(pre) both bootable on the same
> system for various reasons including NFS access. OS/2 2.0 lacks a
> dual-boot option.

There was an article in the now defunct PC Tech Journal, about 18 months ago,
that gave step by step instructions. Basically, you install OS/2, then patch
the boot block to boot a small standalone program that puts up a menu. The
program then copies either a copy of the (original) OS/2 boot block, or
a DOS boot block, into the normal boot area at 7C00H, then jumps to it.

Send me mail if you want more details, but expect a delay as I'm rather
busy for a while.
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk        | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
*** NB *** Do NOT use the return path in the article header ***************