[comp.os.os2] OS/2 platforms

reh@icd.ab.com (Robert E. Hodge) (07/03/90)

 I've recently heard two rumors on this subject: first, that
OS/2 2.0 will be the last version of OS/2 that will support
machines based on the 80286 processor.
 The second rumor was that OS/2 2.0 will be the first version
that WILL NOT support the 80286.
 Which is true?  Neither?  Anyone know?

++++  Bob Hodge  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+  "The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing." +
+                     - Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180 a.d.)    +

meyer@sunb4.cs.uiuc.edu (07/04/90)

>OS/2 2.0 will be the last version of OS/2 that will support
>machines based on the 80286 processor.
Rumor:

> The second rumor was that OS/2 2.0 will be the first version
>that WILL NOT support the 80286.
Fact:

(Supposedly! ...  :-)

Don
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
	Don Meyer		internet:	dlmeyer@uiuc.edu

"He who restricts another's right to self-defense is accomplice to
 any crime committed because of the lack of self defense."

gerry@dialogic.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) (07/04/90)

In article <1489@abvax.UUCP> reh@icd.ab.com (Robert E. Hodge) writes:

> I've recently heard two rumors on this subject: first, that
>OS/2 2.0 will be the last version of OS/2 that will support
>machines based on the 80286 processor.
> The second rumor was that OS/2 2.0 will be the first version
>that WILL NOT support the 80286.

OS2 2.0 will NOT support the 80286. (Personally, I feel it was a
mistake to support it in the first place, but that's only my opinion).
It will be backward compatible with code written with 1.x by
supporting a 16:16 addressing mode of some sort.  OS2 2.0 will use a
straight 32 bit addressing scheme. I'm shakey on all the details of this.

Rumors to the contrary (which appeared in PC Week) have been
corrected/retracted in a recent issue.

--
uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (07/04/90)

In article <1489@abvax.UUCP> reh@icd.ab.com (Robert E. Hodge) writes:

> I've recently heard two rumors on this subject: first, that
>OS/2 2.0 will be the last version of OS/2 that will support
>machines based on the 80286 processor.
> The second rumor was that OS/2 2.0 will be the first version
>that WILL NOT support the 80286.
> Which is true?  Neither?  Anyone know?

According to what I have been reading, (Here, trade rags, etc) OS/2 2.0 will
not support the 80286, but will support apps written for OS/2 1.x & the 286.
This information mainly came from Byte where they allegedly have a pre-release
version of 2.0 ....

 (Just passing info along... (-8)
 Steve

Steve Resnick -<stever@octopus.COM apple!octopus!stever sun!vsi1!octopus!stever>
408/241-1533 Process Scientific, Inc.
"0x2B|~0x2B THAT is the question!"

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) (07/05/90)

In article <1489@abvax.UUCP> reh@icd.ab.com (Robert E. Hodge) writes:

> I've recently heard two rumors on this subject: first, that
>OS/2 2.0 will be the last version of OS/2 that will support
>machines based on the 80286 processor.
> The second rumor was that OS/2 2.0 will be the first version
>that WILL NOT support the 80286.

OS/2, Version 2.0 will require a 386 or 486 based computer. This has
been announced and is public knowledge. No statement has been made about
any 'last version' for the 286, all we have said is that Version 2.0
requires a 386/486 because it uses three features which do not exist
on the 286.

Namely:
  Virtual x86 support, for Multiple Virtual Dos machines
  Paged Memory, for improved Virtual Memory performance
  32-bit 'flat' adressing, for improved portability of code, simplicity
    and speed.

The market is clearly asking us to provide features which require a 386/486
and that is where we are concentrating our efforts at present. We will
revisit the need for further 286 versions of os2, but os2 2.0 is the
most important at this time.

OS/2, 1.21 which is shipping very shortly from all major PC vendors, is
a very rich, stable and complete 286 operating system with the majority of
printers in use today supported with drivers which support downloadable
fonts, font cartridges and other model-unique features and they
have been proved to work with the 53 Presentation Manager applications
available today. OS/2 1.21 will remain useful on 286 computers after
2.0 is available for 386/486 machines.

Pre-release versions of OS/2 2.0, for developers of 32-bit OS/2
applications, are available today. This month we are shipping a major
update which provides a very stable platform for developers - stable
enough for our own developers to use to develop os2 2.0 itself.

Alistair Banks
OS/2 Group
Microsoft

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (07/12/90)

In article <1990Jul4.163051.21060@Octopus.COM> stever@octopus.UUCP (Steve Resnick ) writes:
>In article <1489@abvax.UUCP> reh@icd.ab.com (Robert E. Hodge) writes:
>>
>> I've recently heard two rumors on this subject: first, that
>>OS/2 2.0 will be the last version of OS/2 that will support
>>machines based on the 80286 processor.
>> The second rumor was that OS/2 2.0 will be the first version
>>that WILL NOT support the 80286.
>> Which is true?  Neither?  Anyone know?
>>

>According to what I have been reading, (Here, trade rags, etc) OS/2 2.0 will
>not support the 80286, but will support apps written for OS/2 1.x & the 286.
>This information mainly came from Byte where they allegedly have a pre-release
>version of 2.0 ....

 At the Roadshow here in Washington, D.C. (actually Reston, VA) the Microsoft
 people said you can now purchase the OS/2 2.0 SDK pre-release now which comes
 with a pre-release of OS/2 2.0. They also announced that OS/2 WILL SUPPORT
 the following.

	 Applications written for all previous final releases of
		 OS/2.
	 multitasking of up to 16 DOS applications.
	 binary compatibility for Windows 3.0 applications.

 The last item is very nice. Now if a user wants to migrate from
 DOS/Windows, the Windows apps already owned can simply be run as
 OS/2/PM applications right out of the box with no modification. These
 apps may not run as efficeintly as PM apps or take full advantage of
 the OS/2-PM resources, but they should be comparable to running them
 under Windows. We'll see!?!

Signature under construction

       ______
      /     |                   Richard Oppenheimer
      |     \/                  Computer Science Center
      |     Ri                  University of Maryland
    __|__          __           College Park, Maryland ,USA
    |   |  |______|| \          oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (office)
    |   |   OO  OO--0-|         richard@wam.umd.edu (home)
My employer cares not what I think and knows not what I say. The
opinons expressed herein are my own and are not endorsed by the
Computer Science Center.