[comp.os.os2] Extended attributes on 1.2

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (06/17/90)

I just installed version 1.2, and it added all those extended attributes.
Since I also use DOS on the same disk, they won't all stay around, and in any
case I have another partition the installation procedure didn't add EAs to.

Does anyone know how to do the automatic addition of EAs to any specified
disk? Without running installation all through again?

Thanks in advance
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk        | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
*** NB *** Do NOT use the return path in the article header ***************

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) (07/17/90)

OS/2 does not 'add extended attributes' as a capability
to a disk. Extended Attributes are down-compatible
with the DOS FAT format - OS/2 Creates them as needed on
any FAT disk and they are invisible to DOS programs.

To understand this you should realise that EAs owned by a
file or directory on a FAT disk are physically stored in
disk space owned by the hidden, system, read-only file
stored in the root called "EA DATA. SF". The EA data is
pointed to by reserved bytes in the FAT directory entry
structure. This file should never be manipulated directly.
You should use the EA APIs in the OS/2 1.2 toolkit. You may
be able to reverse-engineer the mechanism by careful use of
a disk sector editor, though the actual format remains
unpublished for the time-being.

This weird file has to exist to ensure total down-level
compatibility. Its name is valid, although very unlikely
to be chosen by any previous application.

So no installation step is needed. OS/2 will create the EAs
and the "EA DATA. SF" file as needed. If you use DOS to
delete a file that OS/2 has attached EAs to, then OS2
chkdsk will recognise that those EAs have not been deleted.
Never use DOS to delete "EA DATA. SF" or you will have
deleted all those EAs OS/2 created for you.

DOS file deletion is not a disaster, it just might waste
some small disk space. Every now-and-then, in this case,
you should run the OS/2 chkdsk, having booted from the OS/2
install diskette, to 'unlock' your C drive, and then
chkdsk/f to regain the 'lost' EA space on FAT disks.

Alistair Banks
OS/2 ISV Group
Microsoft

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (07/20/90)

So should we back up this file along with all the others when we do
file backup?
--
Phone:	 (work) 219-482-9631; MCI mail: DFEUSTEL
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) (07/22/90)

In article <19133@well.sf.ca.us> feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) writes:

>So should we back up this file along with all the others when we do
>file backup?

"EA DATA. SF", like os2ldr, like ibmbio.com is marked read-only, hidden, system.

None of these files can be successfully backed up and restored as normal
files.

They are all position and content sensitive.

Extended Attributes should be backed up with
the file or directory they belong to.

They are read and written using the EA APIs which
are a part of OS/2 1.2 and beyond.

Alistair Banks
OS/2 Group
Microsoft