[comp.os.os2] OS/2 LanManager 2.0 question

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (01/10/91)

I am hoping someone @microsoft will see and respond to this but amybe
someone else knows things about this.

a) we are an OS/2 Lan Manager reseller/whatever

b) we currently use our own home brew LAN which has a very nice feature.
   it allows what we call hierarchical networks.  Ie lan A has a "server"
   and a workstation on lan A which just happens to be the "server" for
   lan B.  So the lan B server actually does the equivalent of net use's
   from the lan A server and then provides them as drives to users on the
   lan B network.

BIG PROBLEM.  This doesn't work under Lan Manager.  So you also can't do things
like have your server bring in a bunch of DECnet or NFS drives and share
them with all your users.

Any luck in this changing?

backman@vaxeline.COM (Larry Backman) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.012218.19859@tmsoft.uucp> mshiels@tmsoft.UUCP (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

>I am hoping someone @microsoft will see and respond to this but amybe
>someone else knows things about this.

Probably not...

>b) we currently use our own home brew LAN which has a very nice feature.
>   it allows what we call hierarchical networks.  Ie lan A has a "server"
>   and a workstation on lan A which just happens to be the "server" for
>   lan B.  So the lan B server actually does the equivalent of net use's
>   from the lan A server and then provides them as drives to users on the
>   lan B network.
>
>BIG PROBLEM.  This doesn't work under Lan Manager.  So you also can't do things
>like have your server bring in a bunch of DECnet or NFS drives and share
>them with all your users.

I have experienced the same problem with my NFS IFS.  I can run the
NFS IFS on the same machine as a LAN Manager server and merrily
copy files from NFS drives to LANMAN remote & local drives.  However,
when I do the following....

	mount z: //sun/usr/xx/yy/z    #mount an nfs drive
	net share sun=z:\
I get the <command completed successfully> message.
Another LANMAN client than is able to

	net use g: \\gatewaymachine\sun
and gets the same <command completed successfully> message from LANMAN.
However any access of <g:> fails with a <drive not found> msg.

I brought this issue up with Microsoft & was told that LANMAN distinctly
protected against allowing access to remote drives to avoid a
circular share/use loop.

Oh well; it could have been a great product....

				Larry Backman
				backman@ftp.com