[comp.os.os2] Q: How to get DOS box in OS/2 V2.0 PR3

fanj@remb6489.wpd.sgi.com (Fan Jiao) (05/09/91)

I would like to know how to get DOS box in OS/2 V2.0 PR3.  All I got was the
error msg saying "DOS Emulation is not currently available".  I looked at the
readme file in the toolkit, and there was no such comments about DOS box.
Thanks.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Fan Jiao,

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May9.160456.16628@twilight.wpd.sgi.com> fanj@twilight.wpd writes:
>I would like to know how to get DOS box in OS/2 V2.0 PR3.  All I got was the
>error msg saying "DOS Emulation is not currently available".  I looked at the
>readme file in the toolkit, and there was no such comments about DOS box.
>Thanks.

I can think of two things off the top of my head.  First, check your
CONFIG.SYS to see if it has the line "PROTECTONLY=YES".  If so, change
it to say "NO", since DOS is not a protected mode application.

Second, one of the older Beta versions had a bug that wouldn't allow any
DOS boxes to open if there weren't any DOS devices loaded.  If the above
doesn't work, then try adding the line "DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\ANSI.SYS"
to your config.sys file.  Then you should be able to run DOS boxes galore.

--
NOTICE: Due to the complexity of nearly all topics, the opinions expressed
above are in continual process of formation and may be changed without notice.

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525