[comp.os.os2] Q: Can I get what I want with OS/2

jlb@nuchat.sccsi.com (Joel Breazeale) (05/16/91)

I'm trying to obtain a PC running OS/2 with the following hardware constraints:

   200 MB SCSI Hard disk
   1024x768 Super VGA
  ~250 MB Cartridge tape drive (DC-600 tapes -- the larger tapes)

So far, I know I can use:

   Adaptec 1542B SCSI Controller
   Wangtec 5150 ES SCSI Cartridge Tape Drive

That's about as far as I've gotten.  Anyone know if any of the following
manufacturers have drivers which do 1024x768 for OS/2 (any suggestions?):

   Compaq, Elite, Genoa, Hercules, Orchid, Paradise, Sun River, Tsang Labs

Anyone know any system builders/manufacturers who'll install OS/2 (their
version or someone else') on a PC and support it?  I don't think I'm
interested in IBM.

I know Compuadd and Dell sell OS/2.  Dell doesn't support 1024x768 and
they use the Tsang Labs (one down).

Anyone have experience with Sytos+ for OS/2 for file backup?
Anyone know whose motherboard Compuadd uses?

You know what I'm afraid of...  Building a system, buying an OS/2 for it,
turning on the power and finding out and everything is incompatible.
Sound familiar?

Help!
Joel Breazeale
jlb@nuchat.sccsi.com
713/522-8466

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.194645.19352@nuchat.sccsi.com> jlb@nuchat.sccsi.com (Joel Breazeale) writes:
>Anyone know any system builders/manufacturers who'll install OS/2 (their
>version or someone else') on a PC and support it?  I don't think I'm
>interested in IBM.

Buy IBM OS/2 1.3 now.  In about 3 months you'll be able to upgrade to IBM
OS/2 2.0 for free.  IBM OS/2 costs $150 list, cheaper on the street(and
if anyone tries to charge you more have them call IBM and get the *current*
prices).  Nobody else has written an OS/2 (except of course Microsoft who
shared in the development).  Any OS/2 you buy *is* the IBM/Microsoft
version.  See earlier messages regarding how impressive 2.0 is going to
be.  (Trust me; I'm running and IBM internal Beta version of 2.0, and
it's *damn* impressive.)

>I know Compuadd and Dell sell OS/2.  Dell doesn't support 1024x768 and
>they use the Tsang Labs (one down).

They're selling the exact same OS/2 that IBM sells, except perhaps a
special video driver.

>Anyone have experience with Sytos+ for OS/2 for file backup?

Yes, I've used it under OS/2 1.2.  It works.  (What else is there to
say?  Backup software doesn't exactly excite the imagination...)

>You know what I'm afraid of...  Building a system, buying an OS/2 for it,
>turning on the power and finding out and everything is incompatible.
>Sound familiar?

Although I can't speak officially for IBM, the word on OS/2 2.0 is
that IBM is explicitly stating that it will support non-IBM platforms.
That is, it will run AND BE SUPPORTED on *any* 386.  And contrary
to popular belief, even earlier versions would run on generic 386 clones.
(There seems to be a misconception that it will only run on PS/2.)

--
NOTICE: Due to the complexity of nearly all topics, the opinions expressed
above are in continual process of formation and may be changed without notice.

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525