[comp.os.os2] A decent book

Andrew_Mcmillan@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Andrew Mcmillan) (05/21/91)

A friend of mine has just got a new job, where he will have to deal
with OS/2 (supporting some software that runs on it) regularly.

Is there any astoundingly good book he can get, which will help?
I think he might also want something to help with the API functions
and so on as well, so I guess that's two books (never mind, his
firm will pay!).

Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers,

                                        Andrew.

--- via Silver Xpress V2.28 [NR]
 * Origin: Andrew's Folly - Expressly from Andrew! (3:771/150)

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (05/22/91)

The Bible is, just as for Wind*ws, the infamous "Petzold Book".  I don't
have the ISBN number, but it's by Charles Petzold, and it's called
either "Programming OS/2", or "Programming Presentation Manager", or
something similar.  I currently own his "Programming Windows" book, and it
is clear, concise, and informative.  I used the OS/2 one in an OS/2 course
a few months back and it was just as good.  It might be hard to get ahold
of until OS/2 2.0 becomes popular in a few months.  <smug grin>

--
NOTICE: Due to the complexity of nearly all topics, the opinions expressed
above are in continual process of formation and may be changed without notice.

Wayne Hayes     INTERNET: wayne@csri.utoronto.ca        CompuServe: 72401,3525