[comp.os.os2] OS/2 for PS/2 only ?

ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.161726.29291@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au>, ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) writes:
> I have just seen a pretty remarkable statement concerning OS/2.  The
> statement was that IBM's OS/2 supports PS/2s only and not normal bus
> configurations.  Is this a fact ???

Bzzzt!  Wrong!  Whoever said this requires a severe beating.  IBM's OS/2
(versions 1.0 thru 1.3) have always supported AT-bus architectures - OS/2
has to because IBM warrant use of this operating system on their own ATs!
The only gotcha is that IBM claim that OS/2 runs better on a PS/2
because of the ABIOS.  I have also heard that OS/2 1.3 is better able to
handle clones.

> This worries me with reguards to os/2 version 2.  I have heard that IBM
> has extended the supported devices in v2, does this include normal buses ?
> Does Microsoft intend to produce a normal version of v2 ???  Surely they
> would have to if they wanted to continue products like MS LAN Manager ?

IBM have stated that they are making particular (and unprecedented?) efforts
to support different video adapters, perhpheral cards, etc for OS/2 2.0.

Mark Kosten

hscohen@cbnewsl.att.com (harvey.s.cohen) (06/06/91)

Microsoft OS/2 1.2.1 runs on my Northgate EISA 486, but IBM OS/2 1.3.1
does not. I do not know how general this problem may be.
--
	Harvey S. Cohen / att!honet4!hsc || hsc@honet4.ATT.COM
	AT&T Bell Labs / HO 3B532 / 908 949 0173

mitsu@well.sf.ca.us (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (06/07/91)

Re; OS/2 on PS/2s only

Gawd, not this again.  This is one of the oldest myths in the book.
IBM OS/2 1.3 runs on just about every clone in existence; it is one
of the most "compatible" pieces of software I have ever seen.  As Bill
Gates once said "There is not a single line of PS/2-specific code in
OS/2".

Mitsu Hadeishi
Open Mind
mitsu@well.sf.ca.us
apple!well!mitsu

taj@cunyvms1.gc.cuny.edu (06/19/91)

the statement you've read could only have come from Gates.win !!!