[comp.os.os2] OS/2 2.0 - anyone got a copy?

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (06/20/91)

Did anyone get hold of a copy of OS/2 2.0 from one of the Bulletin Boards before
IBM pulled it off them? If so, I'd like to ftp a copy. I want to see if I can
move off Windows onto OS/2 2. Please mail any replies.
  |  Roger Hadgraft                 +----------------------------------+
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |
  |  Clayton, Vic. 3168. Australia. +----------------------------------+

tok@stiatl.salestech.com (Terry Kane) (06/24/91)

Subject: Re: OS/2 2.0 - anyone got a copy?
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2

In comp.os.os2 you write:

>I have tried to download IBM OS/2 2.0 Beta, but the number I got is constantly
>busy. I wonder, is it that OS/2 is getting so popular that all the phone lines
>are busy 24 hours a day, or I simply got the wrong number. Can anyone help me?
>The phone number I got is (404)835-6600. Does anybody know of any other
>BBSes from which I can download IBM OS/2 2.0?

The beta download bbs was taken off the air almost immediately after it was
put up.  The reason is not completely clear - but indications were that the
lawyers in Boca questioned its legal status.  The number that you give is for
the IBM NSC bbs, a board run to provide a collection point for nationwide
PC user groups, with a heavy focus on OS/2; much informal support by both
IBM and non-IBM folks is given there, much like you see here in these news-
groups.

The beta distribution is said to be (probably) resuming in mid-late June;
but will be restricted to those (17,000) people who had signed on to the
NSC bbs prior to 0900, 04/30/91.  The sysop has hinted that the distribution
will be made by mail rather than modem ... but that's only a hint.

The NSC bbs is currently experiencing technical difficulties (please stand
by :-), so you'll probably get no answer or busy.  I'm local to it and have
not succeeded in connecting for nearly two weeks... I don't think that I'm
falling behind in 'postings', because I doubt many, if any, people have conn-
ected recently.

P.S. the person who is looking to get a copy from someone who snagged it
should give up... distribution is strictly limited by the license agreement
to NO redistribution at all.   AND, IBM is not distributing beta 2.0 to
anyone ouside the U.S and Canada, except through overseas channels, e.g.
a sales? rep.

Sorry if this disappoint anyone, but them's the facts.