[comp.os.os2] OS/2 v2.0 release date

scalawag@milton.u.washington.edu (Keith Frederick) (06/27/91)

In today's Wall Street Journal IBM had an advertisement for OS/2 v1.3 SE
(being a DOS/Windows person I don't know what SE is, anyone know?) for
only $150 ($99 if you own IBM DOS) AND MORE IMPORTANTLY a free upgrade to
OS/2 v2.0 when it is released (if before next year).

Apparently, this new OS/2 will run Windows software and DOS and OS/2 apps
all at once. This is all exactly what I would like so I can move to
OS/2 easily.  HOWEVER, I wonder just really when is it expected that
OS/2 v2.0 will be released. Does anyone have a good educated guess?

IBM is supposedly showing OS/2 v2.0 at PC EXPO (June 25-27 [that's today!
]. Has anyone heard anything from there about the current state of this
exciting new upgrade.

Thanks in advance.
|                                  |                                     |
| Keith R. Frederick               | Happiness is our moral purpose.     |
| (206)285-1576                    | If you see Dr. Fu Manchu, Kill Him! |
| scalawag@milton.u.washington.edu | SOF : For Professional Adventurers  |
| scalawag@max.u.washington.edu    |-------------------------------------|
| CIS: 73760,3521                  | ::: 4th Year Senior / Economics ::: |
|__________________________________|_____________________________________|

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (06/27/91)

scalawag@milton.u.washington.edu (Keith Frederick) writes:
>HOWEVER, I wonder just really when is it expected that
>OS/2 v2.0 will be released. Does anyone have a good educated guess?

Official date is sometime in 4th quarter of 1991.

>IBM is supposedly showing OS/2 v2.0 at PC EXPO (June 25-27 [that's today!
>]. Has anyone heard anything from there about the current state of this
>exciting new upgrade.

I saw a summary of the OS/2 2.0 demo, and apparantly the demo floored
most people who were there.  It was *very* impressive.  The upgrade is
nothing more than what you read in the advertisement.

BTW, "SE" stands for "Standard Edition"; there's also the "EE" ==  "Extended
Edition".  The EE comes with a *really* fancy Communications program,
a *really* fancy database package, and I believe also a LAN client package
to be used with the (sold separately) LAN Server package.