[sco.opendesktop] SLOWWWWWWW Popups

vlr@litwin.com (Vic Rice) (10/25/90)

My group has been developing a reasonably large Motif application for about
18 months. Over the course of this development a significant problem
has been slowly getting worse. The problem is the ever increasing time
it takes for various popups to come up.

Our development system:
SCO ODT 1.0.0y
ALR FlexCache 33/386 (Intel 80387 & Weitek)
Paradise VGA Plus
Multisyncing monitor (used in 800x600)

Currently, the size of the load module is over 2 meg, unstripped. Popups
that used to take 1 or 2 sec to appear completely now take as long as
15 sec. These popups contain various children (RowColumn, DrawingArea, etc).
My perception is this degradation has been gradual, as we have added to the
application.

Are we causing this ?? Is there some memory/buffer management techniques
we are overlooking ?

I realize this is a somewhat vague question, but I don't really know where
to start. We are new to X and Motif, so I suspect we are overlooking
something obvious, I hope. I would appreciate any comments.
--
Dr. Victor L. Rice
Litwin Process Automation

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct25.142436.9581@litwin.com>, vlr@litwin.com (Vic Rice) writes:
|> My group has been developing a reasonably large Motif application for about
|> 18 months. Over the course of this development a significant problem
|> has been slowly getting worse. The problem is the ever increasing time
|> it takes for various popups to come up.

I don't know how much memory you have, but it sounds like a paging
problem.  Motif popups are created when they are realized, so popping
them up means just mapping their windows.  Your problem is probably
that paging in the code that requests the map is very slow.  I suspect
that popping them up the second time will be quite a bit faster, since
the code is already paged in.  In the long run, there's probably not
much you can do about this, aside from getting a faster CPU, faster
disk, or more RAM.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

mikep@sco.COM (Mike Patnode) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct25.142436.9581@litwin.com> vlr@litwin.com (Vic Rice) writes:
>My group has been developing a reasonably large Motif application for about
>18 months. Over the course of this development a significant problem
>has been slowly getting worse. The problem is the ever increasing time
>it takes for various popups to come up.
>
>Our development system:
>SCO ODT 1.0.0y
>ALR FlexCache 33/386 (Intel 80387 & Weitek)
>Paradise VGA Plus
>Multisyncing monitor (used in 800x600)
>
>Currently, the size of the load module is over 2 meg, unstripped. Popups
>that used to take 1 or 2 sec to appear completely now take as long as
>15 sec. These popups contain various children (RowColumn, DrawingArea, etc).
>My perception is this degradation has been gradual, as we have added to the
>application.
>
>Are we causing this ?? Is there some memory/buffer management techniques
>we are overlooking ?

For starters, be sure you are linking with -lmalloc.  This is a big win
for memory performance.  Note that libmalloc is a much more stringent
about misuse of memory than libc.

Also, whenever possible try to hide Popup menus via XtPopdown(),
rather than creating and destroying them each time they are used.
This may be obvious.

Hope that helps.

--
Mike Patnode					The Santa Cruz Operation
SCO Software Engineer				400 Encinal Street

vlr@litwin.com (Vic Rice) (10/26/90)

mikep@sco.COM (Mike Patnode) writes:

>In article <1990Oct25.142436.9581@litwin.com> vlr@litwin.com (Vic Rice) writes:
>>My group has been developing a reasonably large Motif application for about
>>18 months. Over the course of this development a significant problem
>>has been slowly getting worse. The problem is the ever increasing time
>>it takes for various popups to come up.
>>
>For starters, be sure you are linking with -lmalloc.  This is a big win
>for memory performance.  Note that libmalloc is a much more stringent
>about misuse of memory than libc.

>Also, whenever possible try to hide Popup menus via XtPopdown(),
>rather than creating and destroying them each time they are used.
>This may be obvious.

>Hope that helps.

Many  many  thanks,  Mike. The -lmalloc was right on the money.
Adding  -lmalloc  made a drastic improvement in the performance
of  several  aspects  of  our  application, not just popups. We
were doing XtPopdown() via a Motif call.

I  hope  anyone  developing  Motif  apps  under  SCO  ODT  pays
attention to this. It makes a SIGNIFICANT difference.

God, I love USENET.
--
Dr. Victor L. Rice
Litwin Process Automation