[sco.opendesktop] Why magic cookies?

rnelson@eecs.wsu.edu (Roger Nelson - Grad Student) (03/10/91)

In article <3XX9VY1@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Some televideo-braindamage style terminals allow you to set the attribute
>character width to 0, allowing you to write a character in the magic cookie
>cell. So the magic cookies don't show up on the screen but still do weird
>stuff like set the rest of the screen to the attribute.

1. Why did terminal manufactures go with magic cookies?  The magic cookies
   make display attributes useless.

2. In working with TVI910, TVI912c, and HP700/41 terminals, I've tried
   playing around with the terminfo (HP/UX) magic cookie glitch settings and
   haven't been able to work around the problem.

   I haven't been able to get rid of the magic cookies when using Esc
   codes in local mode either.  The picture on the TVI manuals show a nice
   data entry screen using all the display attributes, but I see no
   possible way to make that data entry screen, how did they do it?

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar09.215153.27776@eecs.wsu.edu> rnelson@yoda.UUCP (Roger Nelson) writes:
>1. Why did terminal manufactures go with magic cookies?  The magic cookies
>   make display attributes useless.

Because memory was expensive, and saving memory by making the attributes
take up a screen position helped the situation.  (They got one byte per
character on the screen; the most common method, nowadays, is to have each
character on the screen take up two bytes:  one for the character, one for
the display attributes.)

--
-----------------+
Sean Eric Fagan  | "*Never* knock on Death's door:  ring the bell and

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (03/15/91)

As quoted from <9103100202.aa16074@xenitec.on.ca> by :
+---------------
| In article <1991Mar09.215153.27776@eecs.wsu.edu> rnelson@yoda.UUCP (Roger Nelson) writes:
| >1. Why did terminal manufactures go with magic cookies?  The magic cookies
| >   make display attributes useless.
|
| Because memory was expensive, and saving memory by making the attributes
| take up a screen position helped the situation.  (They got one byte per
+---------------

That, and the fact that Televideo licensed their terminal emulation ROMs to
just about anyone for relatively cheap.  Why invent another VT100 emulation
when you could buy Televideo's inexpensively and get a product out the door
cheaper and faster?

Alas, in these days of programs that want screen attributes to play with, it's
become a problem.  We have customers who don't understand why we won't sell
them Wyse 50s to use with MS Word... until we show them the two possible
lossages.  (1:  program fails to start with an error message about magic
cookies.  2:  use the protect attribute... no on-screen underline, bold, etc.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    Ham: KB8JRR on 40m, 10m when time
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		      permits; also 2m, 220, 440, 1200