[comp.sys.mac.hardware] LocalTalk PC for MicroChannel?

mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) (10/18/89)

I know that Apple's LocalTalk PC cards work in IBM compatibles with xt
and AT buses but has anyone heard of a LocalTalk Card (made by anyone)
that will work with the Micro Channel?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann

scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) (10/18/89)

In article <6803@hubcap.clemson.edu> mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
>I know that Apple's LocalTalk PC cards work in IBM compatibles with xt
>and AT buses but has anyone heard of a LocalTalk Card (made by anyone)
>that will work with the Micro Channel?

>Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
>Clemson University                   Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet

Well ... unfortunately, Apple brand LocalTalk PC cards will not work in
MicroChannel Architecture (MCA) - and up until very recently, this meant
that the PS/2 family (Model 50 on up) was excluded from LocalTalk.  How-
ever, TOPS (Sun Microsystems) is releasing a version of its FlashCard
that is designed for MCA.  Their original FlashCard is the functional
equivalent of Apple's LocalTalk PC card.

There are, however, other MCA LocalTalk cards, however, the ones I
saw were brand-less, and available through Black Box (I think ...)

Hope this helps!

Sam

--
Samuel C. Blackman        ! InterNet : scb1@tank.uchicago.edu   Link : UG0184
University of Chicago     ! Disclaimer : Who cares what I say? I'm a student !

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (10/18/89)

In article <6803@hubcap.clemson.edu> mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
>I know that Apple's LocalTalk PC cards work in IBM compatibles with xt
>and AT buses but has anyone heard of a LocalTalk Card (made by anyone)
>that will work with the Micro Channel?

There are persistent rumors that DayStar Digital, who make an AppleTalk PC
card, is planning to come out with an AppleTalk MCA card "real soon now".
Given the growing number of companies out there with PS/2 MCA bus
machines, I think it's only a matter of time before one or several
products hit the market.

Of course, one could always buy a TokenTalk card and jump on a network
that way :-).

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

samg@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Gassel) (10/18/89)

In article <5867@tank.uchicago.edu> scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) writes:
>In article <6803@hubcap.clemson.edu> mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
>>I know that Apple's LocalTalk PC cards work in IBM compatibles with xt
>>and AT buses but has anyone heard of a LocalTalk Card (made by anyone)
>>that will work with the Micro Channel?
>
>TOPS (Sun Microsystems) is releasing a version of its FlashCard
>that is designed for MCA.  Their original FlashCard is the functional
>equivalent of Apple's LocalTalk PC card.
Unfortunately, it won't run AppleShare PC 2.0.  When I last talked to
TOPS, they had no plans to write a driver either. (That was a month
or so ago)

Daystar Digital already makes an MCA card.  Moreover, Apple's
AppleShare PC 2.0 ships with drivers for it.--
Sam Gassel			Academic and Public Computing
samg@tank.uchicago.edu		University of Chicago Computing Organizations

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (10/18/89)

In article <6803@hubcap.clemson.edu>, mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
> I know that Apple's LocalTalk PC cards work in IBM compatibles with xt
> and AT buses but has anyone heard of a LocalTalk Card (made by anyone)
> that will work with the Micro Channel?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
> Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann
> Clemson University                   Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet
> Clemson, S.C. 29634-2803         DISCLAIMER = I speak only for myself.

DayStar Digital, Flowery Branch, Georgia, 404-967-2077 makes a LocalTalk
card for Microchannel PS/2's.  (Yes it is the same DayStar Digital that makes
the accelerator cards...)

As far as I know, they ship software with the card for printing and accessing
file servers.

Apple's AppleShare PC 2.0 product ships with a driver for several cards
(localTalk, Ethernet, and TokenRing) including one for either of DayStar's
localtalk cards -- MicroChannel or traditional bus.

Mike Shoemaker
Apple Computer, Inc.

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (10/20/89)

scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) writes:
>In article <6803@hubcap.clemson.edu> mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike McCann) writes:
>>I know that Apple's LocalTalk PC cards work in IBM compatibles with xt
>>and AT buses but has anyone heard of a LocalTalk Card (made by anyone)
>>that will work with the Micro Channel?
>
>>Mike McCann       (803) 656-3714   Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
>>Clemson University                   Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet
>
>Well ... unfortunately, Apple brand LocalTalk PC cards will not work in
>MicroChannel Architecture (MCA) - and up until very recently, this meant
>that the PS/2 family (Model 50 on up) was excluded from LocalTalk.  How-
>ever, TOPS (Sun Microsystems) is releasing a version of its FlashCard
>that is designed for MCA.  Their original FlashCard is the functional
>equivalent of Apple's LocalTalk PC card.

My TOPS sales representative informed me about a month ago that the only MCA
local/flashtalk card is by a company called DayStar, but he informed me that
the card itself is a piece of crap.  It hangs and has an assortment of
engineering problems.  After things are squared away in the bay area, I'm
going to call TOPS and find out if the MCA flashcard uses BusMaster.  If it
doesn't, it isn't going to be worth having.  You might as well have a PC with
a flashcard if the MCA card doesn't use BusMaster.  The only work around for
getting an MCA machine into a TOPS network is to put a 3-Com ethernet board
(the one that Sun recommends for PC-NFS) and put it into TOPS via ethernet.  I
don't know how soon the MCA flashcard will be here, but until then, ethernet
is the only alternative.

  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  * Note  : My opinions are that...mine.  My boss doesn't pay me enough to
  *         speak in the best interests of the company (yet).