[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Big screens for Macs

pte900@csc.anu.oz (10/18/89)

I am interested in large (15 inch or bigger) screens for the Macintosh.

What is the cost likely to be ?

Who sells them ?

Are they fully supported by the Macintosh Operating System ?

Peter Elford,
Computer Services Centre,
Australian National University.

joe@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Joe) (10/19/89)

>I am interested in large (15 inch or bigger) screens for the Macintosh.
>What is the cost likely to be ?
>Who sells them ?
>Are they fully supported by the Macintosh Operating System ?

E-Machines markets a wonderful 15" Color monitor which comes
with an 8bit video card. The entire package is just over $2000,
which leads me to think this is a particularly good value.

The monitor was recently reviewed (MacUser?) as one of the best
new screens on the market, but you should look into it yourself.

It fits a Mac II, of course.
Hope this has been helpful.

Joe
*
*	"Think, imagine, feel" are words like good and evil;
*	they mean what you choose them to mean - and nothing more.
*	If you define them, they fall apart.
*
INTERNET: 	joe@amos.ling.ucsd.edu
RELAY: 		joe%amos.ling.ucsd.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET: 	joe%amos@ucsd.bitnet
UUCP: 		ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdamos!joe

jim@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Jim Providakes) (10/19/89)

Does anyone know of a inexpensive big screen for the SE/30.  I don't need
256 colors, just a larger monochrome screen.
Thanks

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/19/89)

In article <811.253c492e@csc.anu.oz> pte900@csc.anu.oz writes:
<I am interested in large (15 inch or bigger) screens for the Macintosh.

<What is the cost likely to be ?

The cheapest two page display I've seen advertised in the back of MacWeek
is a Megascreen for around $1000. Beyond that 1500 to 2000 is common. I
presume you are talking about monochrome. E-Machines has a 21-inch that
can be upgraded later to grayscale. I have a SuperMac grayscale. Radius is
a well-known manufacturer. A recent MacUser did an article on grayscale
monitors from which you could glean some information.

>Who sells them ?

Mail order houses even handle them now. See MacUser and MacWorld.

>Are they fully supported by the Macintosh Operating System ?

There is an occasional report of a glitch, but generally yes. Presumably
an older Megascreen on an SE is causing a problem with background printing.
There are random pieces of text dropped during printing. Megascreen sent
"new" software but it was the same stuff we already had and didn't help.

You have to be careful when inquiring that there is a card for your Mac.
If you have a Plus, your choices are definitely limited. If you have an
SE/30 there are some limitations. For Mac II family, you'll have the
greatest variety to choose from.

Shirley

jay@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jay Windley) (10/19/89)

joe@amos.UUCP (Joe) writes:
| E-Machines markets a wonderful 15" Color monitor which comes
| with an 8bit video card. The entire package is just over $2000,
| which leads me to think this is a particularly good value.
| [...]
+-----

The company I used to work for had two E-Machines monitors, one
of the above-mentioned, and one monochrome attached to an SE.

Both are fantastic monitors.  They take a long time to "warm up"
in the morning (i.e., get focused and get the color right), so
turn your machine on before getting coffee, reading mail, ogling
secretary (:-), etc.  Once they're locked in, they are crisp and
have good contrast.

The monochrome monitor is supported quite well by the SE's OS,
and most good applications use the extra space well.

--
Jay Windley  -  Dept. of Computer & Information Sciences  -  Kansas State Univ.
Internet: jay@phobos.cis.ksu.edu |

joe@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Joe) (10/20/89)

(Jim Providakes) writes:
>Does anyone know of a inexpensive big screen for the SE/30.  I don't need
>256 colors, just a larger monochrome screen.

Yes, here:

Radius Full-Page (15") Monocrome  $720 + card $440
Radius Two-Page (19") Monocrome $1160 + card $525

Maybe I'm just wallowing in money, but both seem like a deal to me.
Contact: "Computer Ware," Coparate Offices, 2800 West Bayshore,
Palo Alto, Ca 94303.

Other people may market alternate monitors, but I'm not
aware of them.

*** Our technician tells me that he's had some trouble from
	the one-page displays (this may just be bad luck), so
	I advise moving directly to the two-page if you anticipate
	any need for it now or in the future (our tech says that
	he has never had any trouble from the large one).

Hope this helps,
Joe.
*

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/20/89)

In article <1408@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> jim@calvin.spp.cornell.edu.UUCP (Jim Providakes) writes:
<Does anyone know of a inexpensive big screen for the SE/30.  I don't need
<256 colors, just a larger monochrome screen.
<Thanks

How about a Megascreen (19") for around $1,000. They've been advertising
in the back of MacWeek for some time now. Also, Software that Fits (see
MacWeek, MacWorld, or MacUser) has a full page display (Samsung). For
MacWeek readers that mention the ad, the price is $450. I think someone
on the net just bought one of these for an SE/30.

Shirley

francis@mirror.UUCP (Joe Francis) (10/21/89)

I have a plus (and do not want to upgrade).  What choices do I have for
a 12" or larger b/w monitor?  I want it to provide additional desktop
(not give me the same desktop over again).  I would like to be able
associate macsbug (or some other debugger) with one of the screens.
You can email me at above...  Thanks